Off topic: what to do while waiting for your engine to come back…

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Off topic: what to do while waiting for your engine to come back…
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Magedanz on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 11:00 pm:

…overhaul your Victrola, of course!

This Victrola was like a tired, old Model T, dirty and rough running…

dirty motor

…and really needed to be cleaned so it would run smoothly. Well, like going through a Model T, you never know what you might find:

cracked spring

This cracked main spring definitely had to go. So off it went to be replaced by the experts (who had replacements and knew how to get it rewound without causing bodily harm) while I cleaned the rest…

cleaned parts

…and figured out what to oil and grease:

lube diagram

Once the spring was back, everything went back together nicely…

ready to go again

…and it plays as good as it looks.

Victrola 1926

And what better record to play than a Ford record…

Ford record

Lots of fun. Now if the Model T engine were only done.

Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 12:55 am:

Joe, are you gonna mount that in the back of the TT and provide the music at the rest stops on the tours? Might be able to defray some of the costs! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 01:13 am:

That song goes, dah, dah, dah, dah, dah, dah, dah, dah-dah-dah/dah/dah, umph, dah,dah,dah-dah-dah, ump, dah,dah,dah-dah-dat. etc. George House and I still play that song. He plays it on his tuba and I play it on fiddle. Every body knows that song. Right George??? =)
Herman and Einar played it at the Norwegian Sheepherders Ball.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 02:41 am:

Now that is very cool. Great, now another mechanical obsession is born. Thanks alot Joe.

Erich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Decker on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 10:07 am:

Speaking of Polka? Does anyone recognize this gentleman?

Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 11:20 am:

Your spring was broken close enough to the end to re-punch the tear drop shaped hole and re-use. The play time would have only been slightly shorter, but still long enough to play several records.

Springs really are not difficult to install. I used to retore Victrolas and Edisons all the time until I lost interest in them. Removing the spring from the drum is the most dangerous part, but if you are careful and remove only a little at a time there should be no problems.

Anyway, congratualtions on your restoration. It looks great!

Jim Patrick

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration