T wires

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: T wires
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barb Hobbins on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 10:33 am:

I bought these wires from Modet T Haven (nice people)a few months ago for my T. I thought it looked kind of crappy. I call them about this concern and he told me that they were supplied to them by a company in New York and they were their main supplier for years.
Are they suppose to look this? Seems to me the wires are smaller in diameter also. I want to put this on my 26 coupe. My baby deserves the best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 10:47 am:

Barb ;
why dont you use Barbed wire,as we do,
much cheaper and works fine
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Decker on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 10:54 am:

Hello and welcome, Bard
Can you post a picture of your Baby?

welcome

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 10:59 am:

The lengths do not look right for a 26-27, but in what way do you think they look crapy?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barb Hobbins on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 11:09 am:

The outside of the wire is cracking along with the wire that is attached to the brass is sticking up and it very sharp. I don't know if it will be held down on the spark plug tightly whit all that solder on it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 11:23 am:

barbwire

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 11:30 am:

If you are not satisfied, return them for a refund and try another suppier. While I like the fact that the manufacturer went to the extra trouble to solder the wire to the contact, to ensure they maintain a strong connection, the cracks in the insulation of the wire are a big concern and would be reason enough for me to return them. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Drew Wommack on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 11:39 am:

Those look like the same wires that you are probably going to get from the majority of the suppliers. Lang's offers another set that is the original color for more $$.

My guess is that what you are seeing cracking is the laquer coating over the cotton sheathing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barb Hobbins on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 11:43 am:

As I was told that all the wires was soldered on.
As so changing suppliers Its probably coming from the same company. I would spend alittle more money for a better qualty product than to do all this work installing them on and finding out that the car broke down because of faulty workmanship.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 11:50 am:

Barb, If the cracks are only in the clear lacquer coating and not in the underlying rubber insulation, I think you probably have some pretty good wires there. Install them with the soldered side down and they will look even better and unless you point them out to your friends, no one will ever know how bad you think they are.

To be honest with you those four wires are about the easiest thing to install on a Model T, so there really is not all that much work to installing them. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 12:03 pm:

Those wires may not be as pretty as they could be, but they are not faulty. Sure, the solder tinned a little too far toward the hole on one of them, but that's not an electrical problem. The soldering assures the wires won't pull apart if yanked. Wires that are folded back under the terminal before crimping, rather than soldered, will work fine also.

As evidenced by Garnet's barbed wires, the insulation is there only for corrosion protection in this application, as they should not come close to touching anything.

ss

rdr
Freezing in Foggy Bottom, a real section of Wash DC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 12:11 pm:

Barb

The workmanship of some new parts is lacking sometimes. The wires will still work, but you are right that the solder mess should not be in the way of the terminal, and cracked lacquer coated fabric wire looks bad too.

Here are 3 examples. The yellow wires on the left are brand sold by the big vendors, the yellow on the left on top of the plastic it came in is from Sacramento Vintage Ford, who makes their own wires in house. The lower black with red tracer wire is from a start-up fella who was at Hershey, he makes his own brass fittings, and has started making ignition wires now.
pic here

In this close up you can see the real poor solder joint on the big brand vendor wire on the left, I can do a better job than this cold solder joint, and the crimp of the brass fitting is horrible, not even rounded around the wire, just a U sharp bend, I would be ashamed to have my name on this brand.

pic here

The Sacramento Vintage Ford wire on the right has good solder joint and no cracking of the fabric wire.

The black with red tracer wire has good solder, and nicely formed terminal wrap around the wire. This wire is from the new guy, mentioned a few threads ago last 2 weeks or so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doyle Anderson on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 04:17 pm:

I am sorry but I have to say, that barbed wire is a classic!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barb Hobbins on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 04:23 pm:

Who is that guy that makes the wires with the black and red colored wire. I would put that on my car..It really stands out also the workmanship looks really nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 04:30 pm:

I agree Garnet. Along with baling wire repairs, that is something a resourceful, hard scrabble sod buster would have used during the Depression, when there was barely enough money to put food on the table and keep a roof over his head, much less spend on keeping the jalopy running. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 04:53 pm:

Barb -- I believe the black/red wires are correct for earlier T's, not 26-27's. The 26-27 wires are a different length than 25 and earlier ones, so be sure to order the right ones for your car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 06:37 pm:

Mike

I like to think the black with red tracer is correct for the Improved T's....:-) no silly bright orange on the late T's !!

Here is an old thread on the subject

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/88891.html

and a scan from the Service Bulletin on the '26-'27, sure looks like black with red tracer to me :-)

pic here

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 07:23 pm:

Oh -- OK, I stand corrected.

Hey, Barb -- Gitcha some of those black wires! :-)

It was mentioned above that Sacramento Vintage Ford's spark plug wires appear to be better quality than some of the others. They have the reputation of making better wire harnesses as well, from reading other Forums (Ford V-8, for instance). They make their own, while the other vendors apparently get theirs from someone else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By peter vanlare on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 07:48 pm:

here's a copy of Roman's page out of his catalog.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barb Hobbins on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 08:07 pm:

I talked to my hubby Karen and she says she would like to contact the person who makes the black with red wires

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 12:01 am:

Barb:

Not sure what year your T is. None of the pictured spark plug wire ends were used by Ford on the very early T's. There also is no specified "correct" color on factory drawings either and every early wire I have seen is so rotten and faded by UV as to make it a pure guess as to determination of any original coloring. The earliest T spark plug ends were soldered to the wire but in truth it really doesn't matter. High voltage will simply jump across small gaps with little consequence to performance. The distributor ignition in fact counts on that happening inside the distributor. I once saw a guy running his engine with a setup that had small gaps at each plug wire so that in fact the plugs were not really connected to the plug wires at all. The engine ran fine that way but I pointed out that it was a dangerous stunt since his wood box coils might arc internally if their windings were the least bit closer to ground internally than the combined gap of the plug and his external wire-to-plug gap distance. I don't tighten up my plug wires at either end other than finger tight. Sometimes it is necessary to tighten up a plug wire just to keep it routed away from something that it might rub against.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince M on Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 10:23 am:

Those red and black wires may be good for 10 years plus. The yellow and black wires may only be good for .....10 years plus. They look fine to me.

Vince M

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 12:05 pm:

I agree with John. Who knows what they really were, but my guess would be brown with a faint tracer of some kind. What I have done is, I save the original spark plug wire ends, and clean them up, and resolder them to old stock wire that I find at swap meets. Also, if you check the original parts books, they changed the length of the wires over the years. The earlier wires tend to be a little longer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 12:10 pm:

Larry, would that be why they call you "Original Smith?" I have a bunch of NOS plug wires, they are weathered from storage but not from use. I don't know if they are genuine Henry or not but they are black with a reddish/orangeish tracer. Unfortunately, the ones I have are all the same length. I dunno why. I haven't had time to figure out the picture deal but maybe I can take a pic and post it later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don A Wiegland on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 12:12 am:

\image

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 03:04 am:

I reuse as many old ends as I can find and I buy my wire in bulk and make them myself.
That 1 vendor shouldnt let solder joints out of the building looking like that.Even though as mentioned it aint that important to the spark,it just plain looks bad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 12:33 am:

Stan:
Merry Christmas. I've had a lot of those black wires to, with tracer. They have always been for a '26-7, with two different lengths. I've had good luck making my wires from NOS Ford V-8 wires. They look antique, and are not what came on the car I'm sure, but they look really neat with the original brass tips on them that I take off unusable wires. The color is a dark brown with orange tracer.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration