Repro starter switch

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Repro starter switch
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy J Williams on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 02:51 pm:

How long to the repro starter switches last? I went to start my T this morning granted it is really cold out, but my system is 12 volts and it was cranking like it had 3 volts. Battery checked out ok. I did notice that smoke came up from aound the switch and it was warm to the touch. I have only had the switch in 2 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 03:38 pm:

I don't know if this will help, but here's an earlier discussion on the subject.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/102871.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy J Williams on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 07:41 pm:

Thanks that is helpful. Update it warmed up a little and I put a few hour charge on the battery and got it to turn over and run. I think the cold has something to do with it also. I have an original starter switch and when I have time will take it apart and see about cleaning ot rebuild it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 08:07 pm:

Tim,What are you using for oil?Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy J Williams on Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 08:12 pm:

40 wt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 08:18 pm:

5W-30 or even 10W-30 would probably make that reproduction starter switch look like a whole lot better product, especially in the wintertime. Also, it'll help keep the engine running once it starts before the oil warms up.

SAE 40 oil is like molasses when it's cold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 08:25 pm:

Good wiring helps too. Those old wires can corrode under the insulation, and you can't see it. It's just like putting a resistor in your circuit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy J Williams on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 03:12 am:

Thank you all for the advise, I was also suspecting the oil might be too thick also. Larry I will inspect my wires also

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 10:51 am:

I have a TT that stays outside year round. It starts just fine to about 0 degrees F. I run 10w30 detergent oil and a regular 6 volt battery. Realistically, if the battery is even close to good and the starter is good, your T should crank fine down to at least 10 or 15 degrees.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration