Valves and head bolts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Valves and head bolts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kent Greenhalgh on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 04:00 pm:

I'm doing a valve job on my 1916. What should the valve clearance be, and what should the head bolt
torque be. I always oil the threads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 04:10 pm:

Read the recent threads on head bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 04:10 pm:

One,buy new bolts,install them dry after first making sure the holes in the block are clean and dry. Tourque to 50-55 lbs. Set your valves 12-15 thou on the flats and it will run.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 09:57 pm:

Please do not oil the threads, you can not get them torqued right. Use a tap and air hose to clean out the bolt holes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 11:22 am:

Buy new bolts from the vendors... Plain hardware store bolts stretch and will never torque properly while grade 8 bolts are too hard. Torque is 55 foot pounds. Valve gap works good for me at .011". I use a .010" and a .012" feeler guage as "go-no-go guages".

If you have an original Ford cam in excellent shape, you will get slightly better power and performance with the stock 1/32" valve gap. (A trusted cam designer who did all the proper research told me that).

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration