Definitely not T, Just an Owl on my front porch

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Definitely not T, Just an Owl on my front porch
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 07:30 pm:

This is a picture of the large owl that landed on my front porch this afternoon. I know some of you guys that live in the country see them all the time. I live in the burbs and rarely get to see any thing like this. I grew up on a farm and we often herd them but rarely saw them. This Owl was beautiful. Any one know what kind it is?

owl1
owl2
Owl3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Jamison on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 07:44 pm:

I'd guess it's a Barred Owl. They're about 17-24" tall. It's becoming rarer due to forest habitat loss.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 07:49 pm:

Do you have cats around? They love cats. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 07:54 pm:

To loose a few of the cats that roam around would not be a lose to me. We do have possum and fox. The neighbor said that she saw the owl eat a mouse or vole. Wish I could have seen that. He just flew down and caught it then ate it whole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr. on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 09:04 pm:

There's only two kinds, hoot owls and screech owls. 8:-) I'll go with Philip, probably a barred owl. We have a pair near us that raise two little ones almost every year. We don't see them until they're able to fly and can leave the nest. They're as big as their parents by then but have a different voice and are more curious about us. It's fun to find them on a tree limb at dusk and talk to them and watch their antics. We've had a couple cats went missing over the years but cats are pretty interchangable so I guess the owls are welcome to one once in a while. They also try to keep the squirrels thinned out and that's a good thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 09:14 pm:

Yea, thinning out the squirrels is a good thing. We sure have a bumper crop of squirrels around here. We even have a young one that tries to live on my back porch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Robb on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 10:21 pm:

That's a Porch Owl.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 11:07 pm:

Steven

The Barred owls are real common around me, living on a lake in N. FL

Here is our usual late spring and early summer sounds at night.....

http://home.centurytel.net/bobowlcalls/recordings2/20%20duet%20p054%207%2017%200 6.wav

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 11:51 pm:

We have lived in this house since 86. We have never heard an owl until lately. We have heard it at night for the last couple of weeks. I just returned home and heard it again. It's just exciting to see it, specially in daylight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy on Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 02:19 am:

Thanks for posting, quite cool to a city slicker. Dont see many here in L.A. really cool thanks again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 02:30 pm:

One night about 2 years ago, I was driving down out gravel driveway at night and I saw a huge bird take off with what looked like a rat in it's talons. I think it was a Hoot Owl. It's quite a sight to see!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady Puryear on Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 02:44 pm:

I grew up with and have lived around what we call "Screech" or "Hoot" owls" all my life, I heard them even in Houston. The "screech" is designed to scare his prey into moving, and it will raise the hair on your neck if you are not used to them. I remember well looking up into a tree and watching one watching me. We would make a game of walking around to make him move his head, you would never see them move, it would just flip around so fast. They do catch pretty good sized stuff, a cat is not at all unusual, we have Feral cats here, and it is good to see them become a part of the food chain, they have just about wiped out our quail, turkey and rabbit population

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas J. Miller on Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 02:48 pm:

Years ago we had found an owl in the front porch and it was quite a surprise. Next there were two and shortly after four. I think they were about 6 - 7 inches high. This went on for about 3 to 4 years and then not back for the last 5 years or so. They were screech owls and had a kind or warble in the early am and late pm during mating season. Sometimes during the night they would call as well. Miss them as they were a topic for guests to see and appreciate. They didn't bother when people walked near ( 2-3 feet away). The young were comical trying to fly as they grew. Maybe again some day they will return.
Nick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 02:51 pm:

Steven, I only recall seeing one owl in the 31 years we have lived in Kirkwood (about five miles from Steven in a similar suburb, for those of you not familiar with St Louis). It was a year or so ago, and one took up residence in a large tree in the neighbor's yard. Hung around for about a week and then was gone. Hasn't been back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 07:00 pm:

Dick
We have heard this owl for more than the last 2 weeks. I just enjoyed seeing it, then to have it land on my porch was just the best. I had to share.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Dempsey on Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 09:42 pm:

Steven,
It's a barred owl. They're also called "hoot" owls because they are very vocal. In fact they are the most vocal owl in the U.S. I also live in the city and have seen several of these owls this year.

I taught Biology for 37 years here in Arkansas so I've seen many of them. These owls typically fly very low to the ground when they hunt...which means they are probably the most common ones that end up as road-kill. I've seen many that have been killed by vehicles.

It would be highly unusual for these beautiful birds to catch any prey larger than a bird, mouse or a rat...their most common prey are field mice and birds.

Thanks for sharing!
John

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration