Steam cleaning a T??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Steam cleaning a T??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 08:07 pm:

Do you think a steam cleaner like the Shark or some other 'as seen on TV' type product would work in cleaning the grease out of cracks and crevices of the T? Gunk out or a degreaser would work, but I was wondering about the efficacy of a steam cleaner. Thanks for your thoughts and advice. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 09:40 pm:

I know nothing of the shark but unless you are very careful a good steam cleaner will proably destory paint,wireing,and warp sheet metal??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 10:22 pm:

Thanks, never thought of that. Glad I asked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By cecil paoletti on Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 10:41 pm:

I've seen a friend trying to use an "As seen on TV Steam Cleaner" and it was absolutely worthless. I suppose you could find something it could clean but I've no idea what. There was no significant amount of steam available and little or no pressure. no way could it have steam cleaned a vehicle but on the other hand there was no way it could have damaged any part of a vehicle. Personally I wouldn't hesitate to steam clean a Model T professionally. Our tractors were of similar complexity and steam cleaners always did fine on them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 10:56 pm:

Bob,

In my opinion, the safest fast way to clean that would be the hot soapy pressurized water at a "two-bit" self-serve car wash that is now about 12 bits ($1.50) for five minutes. Crap is going to go everywhere however, including all over you, so I wouldn't ever do it though that's how I keep the engine and engine compartment clean on my 15 year old pickup truck.

My speedster never saw even the garden hose. Instead, I spent lots of time with the gasket scraper, diesel fuel, toothbrushes, etc. before I repainted my engine. The bodywork always got sponge baths then wiped down with a chamois rinsed in warm water.

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 08:56 am:

It's about $7 for five minutes at the car wash here. When was the last time you went to the car wash Seth?

I agree it is the best way to clean lots of things, such as an engine block fresh from the machine shop prior to assembly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 09:54 am:

Probably about a month ago, Royce. Still a buck and a half.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls,WI on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 04:25 pm:

Royce:

That's about what it costs up here, but you would probably slip on the ice. THe kind you drive in, drop in your quarters, pick up the wand, and spray.

The drive thru where you sit in the car are $3.50-$4.00 for basic wash and rinse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 06:42 pm:

Even though it's winterized now i have a powerwasher and while it lacks steam it would still destory a T in short order if not very careful! 3,000 psi! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 07:56 pm:

The steam cleaner would work just fine on the engine and the compartment, however, don't get it near the coil box or you will have a very big problem unless you don't start until it is thoroughly dry. The wood parts on the firewall and the coil box are like a sponge for any kind of liquid.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 09:55 pm:

I hate getting caught in a rainstorm with my T so you can imagine that I am pretty particular about washing my Coupe.

Model T's are not very waterproof so it is a good idea to keep them as dry as you can because when they get rained on or carelessly washed, the water tends to go where it shouldn't which can cause trouble, especially if the place it goes does not have any place for it to escape. Closed car doors, like on my coupe are especially suseptible to this in that, whenever the water hits the closed windows, it runs right down into the door and collects at the bottom, with no place to go and nothing to do accept attack the interior steel of the door and start rusting it. That is why I drilled several drain holes in the bottom most portion of the inside of my doors, just in case. Other places to keep water away from is the cowl vent and the area around the doors, especially if the doors do not quite fit properly which is almost always the case. Either way the water will pour in through both areas and damage your carpet and create moisture, mold and mildew.

Whenever I do wash my Model T, I wash the thing by hand using a bucket of soapy water and soft spong, taking care to watch how much water goes where then carefully rinse it off.

As for pressure washing the engine. This can be detrimental to your T as well. Be very careful to avoid allowing water into the throttle pass through holes in the center of the block and in the valve cover. Get water in those and you are introducing water directly into the crank case. Jim Patrick

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration