Looking for 21 inch split rims

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Looking for 21 inch split rims
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Mills on Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 11:34 pm:

I am looking for at least 2 21 inch split rims for my 27 Runabout, there are 4 on ebay but the seller really didnt offer too much info, does anybody have any rims they want to sell? They dont have to be perfect just close to round and able to be used because it is a unrestored beat up old T and it will probably stay that way as long as I live. Thanks Rob.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 11:22 am:

Rob, I have bought a few on ebay and came out ok. Lot of the time I think people don't know really how to decribe them. I look for good pictures and western wheels, don't bid very high and takes my chances. so far so good. Good luck, KB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry McConville on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 11:48 am:

Rob, I have a number of them all in pretty good shape. All cleaned up and painted so they wouldn't rust in the barn. Don't really know what to ask for them but if you're intrested drop me a line and I'll send some pics. I'm located in Ottawa, Il.
Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 12:00 pm:

I also have some extra danuser88@socket.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 11:50 am:

Speaking of split rims, has anyone come up with a way to straighten warped ones? KB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George House on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 09:27 pm:

They get warped because repairmen (owners?) don't know how to properly use the cranked rim jacks to mount/dismount the tires..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 10:28 pm:

And be sure to purchase the style that is correct for your felloes. The fixed lug were the more prevalent but some Kelsey style lose lug 21 inch split rims were provided. And the Canadian cars also used a 21 inch split rim that was a little different.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker l9l5 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and l907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Sandberg on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 12:00 am:

Rob: I have 4 - 21" split rims that are round but rough shape as to paint etc. Give me an e-mail and we will discuss

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel Denis Chicoine, MD on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 12:13 am:

I'm with George. I tried to remount an old tire after replacing the tube. I tried the cut out 2 x 6 and jack. (the 2 x 6 cut to match the circle of the wheel) I then purchased a jack made for it. So far all I've succeeded in doing is making an oblong rim. I have another rim I don't want to wreck. Maybe a new tire will allow more stretch. the ones I've got must be 40 yrs old. I also would like to straighten the bent rim. I'm almost ready to make the plunge to wire wheels! can the rims be made right or is it junk?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 03:11 am:

Keith and Noel, I haven't actually tryed to straighten 21" rims, but I have straightened a lot of other "circles". The trick is to find a way to find the high spots and low spots, which can be done by measuring across the rim, obviously. Then, although it sounds simple, straighten the high spots and/or bend the low spots. The problem is figuring out how to do the bending. A small press would the trick, but you need to be careful not to go too much at a time. If you take your time and press just a little at a time and measure often, I think it can be done successfully. If in doubt, take them to a good welding/machine shop, they should be able to do it. Hope this helps. Don't pitch the rims just because they aren't round. They were round once, they will go back with care. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 10:31 pm:

George,I agree with the reason they are bent. I have a rim tool but it just hangs on the wall. I made a tool from a turnbuckle that works very well.David I think you are onto it. I will try that approach, by the way, I can't throw any T part out! KB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Mills on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 10:55 pm:

I tried using the wooden blocks and ruined a rim, I tried using the tire jack and struggled beyond beleif until I tried using a second tire jack on the back side 90 deg from the one on the front and went back and forth jacking slowly and it worked like a charm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Mills on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 10:56 pm:

It was the old rim jack.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 11:35 pm:

I have never used a rim jack on 21" wheels, but I have used one on TT 23" rims alot and never had any trouble. Are the 21" rims that much more difficult to deal with? Just curious. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 12:30 am:

I recently straightened some 33 x 4 split rims for an Oakland. I made a circle out of a piece of plywood to find the high and low spots. I also cut a slot the shape of the cross section of the rim out in a piece of steel about 3/4" X 6" x 8". This was stuck in a vice and used to bend the rim. Aren't there 20" or 21" Chevy split rims that look about like a Model T but the holes are a little off? I had a set a while back that looked like a T but they weren't.
Verne

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 12:41 pm:

Yes, Verne I have a chevy rim on the front of my 24, did'nt notice the difference till mounting so I just drilled another stem hole in the fellow. KB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald Cornelius on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 03:39 pm:

Verne, I had the same problem with my 26. Thought I finally had 4 good rims, had the tires mounted on them and found one had the wrong stem hole (damn "Cxxxx")! Drilled a new stem hole, but evidently didn't get it drilled exactly right, as the stem wouldn't straighten out. Will have to dismount and redrill or try to fix one of the other rims I have. Wasn't very happy with the fellow assured me it was a Ford rim!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration