Oatman Grade

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Oatman Grade
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 11:37 am:

On this December morning as we approach the winter solstice something made me think of a summer experience half a century ago. Mom and Dad and my little brother Mike and I piled in the Plymouth and headed for Grandma's farm in Kansas.
A
There's a lot of that drive on old US Route 66 that I don't recall, but one vivid memory stands out. Traffic headed east out of California crossed the Colorado River south of Needles and ascended a gentle slope to the Black Mountains, then toiled up the Oatman Grade, through the old mining town of Oatman, and on to the summit.
B
Those who have traveled the route only on today's I-40 have missed the adventure of that narrow, twisting, steep climb up the grade. The curves and switchbacks allowed few chances for passing. It was common to be in a long line of cars backed up behind a truck as it struggled up the mountain. At every turnout you would pass a car pulled off the road with its hood up as the driver waited for his steaming radiator to cool down enough to go on. That was a long wait on a 100 summer day.
C
I've been over that road in a '41 Plymouth, a '47 Studebaker, and other cars, but someday I'll do it in a Model T. Probably not in August, though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 11:56 am:

Thanks, Steve. I put Oatman on my list of to-do, after hearing about the place.

rdr
Just about done with DC; going home tomorrow. The Library of Congress was a highlight.

lib

lib2

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 12:00 pm:

Speaking of '41 Plymouth. This '39 Coupe is one of the few cars in the Smithsonian Museum of American History, and just like the one I owned when it was less than 20 years old.

ply

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 01:32 pm:

Humm, I think I remember your folks driving by. Seen like just yesterday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 01:36 pm:

Ralph, why is a '39 Plymouth coupe "...one of the few cars in the Smithsonian Museum of American History..."?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 01:37 pm:

Steve - We drove that section of Rt 66 from Kingman, AZ to Needles, CA and thru' Oatman, Nevada 2 years ago. (IN A 33 FT. CLASS A MOTORHOME!) Not sure I'd recommend that to anyone, but I have to say, it was an experience we'll never forget, and to this day, we're glad we did it. I won't even try to describe some of the more "exciting" (to say the least) portions of that drive, because you'd have to drive it to understand! Oh yeah; we definately, "got our kicks on Route 66" that day! I hope that the various sections of Rt 66 that have been preserved will always remain that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 01:40 pm:

Steve - We drove that section of Rt 66 from Kingman, AZ to Needles, CA and thru' Oatman, Nevada 2 years ago. (IN A 33 FT. CLASS A MOTORHOME!) Not sure I'd recommend that to anyone, but I have to say, it was an experience we'll never forget, and to this day, we're glad we did it. I won't even try to describe some of the more "exciting" (to say the least) portions of that drive, because you'd have to drive it to understand! Oh yeah; we definately, "got our kicks on Route 66" that day! I hope that the various sections of Rt 66 that have been preserved will always remain that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 01:46 pm:

Dunno why the '39 Plymouth, Dick, but there weren't more than a dozen cars in the whole place, including the 1903 Winton that was first coast-coast, and a T on a roTisserie.

I don't remember any other pre-war cars, let alone antiques.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 01:46 pm:

Oops! Sorry about the double post; must have been due to my increased heart rate in just thinking about driving that motorhome up "Oatman Grade" and some of those switchbacks! By the way, we were slightly delayed in beautiful downtown Oatman due to a herd of burros in the middle of the "main drag". Won't try to describe the experience of "downtown Oatman", as you really have to "experience" it to understand!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 01:58 pm:

My second car was a 1940 Plymouth four door sedan. Been up the Oatman Grade but that was in a 94 Corvette. Saw the hotel room where Clark Gable and Carol Lombard spent their honeymoon and fed carrots to the donkeys that roam in the streets begging for them.

donkey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff rey L. Vietzke on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 02:01 pm:

I drove that road from east to west, heading into California, back in 1994 in my '67 GTO with the top down in September. It was a great drive, and this is a little known section of really old Route 66. At that time, heading west of Oatman, NV, literally every single road sign had a fist sized hole in it from a shotgun. Clark Cable and Carole Lombard had their honeymoon at the Hotel in Oatman in order to get away from the press, etc. back in the '30's. Still have the GTO!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 02:43 pm:

My second car was a 1940 Plymouth four door sedan. Been up the Oatman Grade but that was in a 94 Corvette. Saw the hotel room where Clark Gable and Carol Lombard spent their honeymoon and fed carrots to the donkeys that roam in the streets begging for them.

donkey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael K Johnson on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 04:08 pm:

We used to go up a grade like the Oatman in the fifties in Arizona, single file behind a big truck that would have a bumper sticker on it saying "I may be slow but I'm ahead of you"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 04:16 pm:

There's an old story about a guy on a steep grade like that who is behind a slow-moving motor home. Since the guy in the car isn't in any particular hurry, he just chugs along at the same speed. Then he notices a bumper sticker on the back of the motor home that reads, "Honk if you love Jesus." He thinks that's a nice thought, so he honks his horn a few times, whereupon the driver of the motor home leans out the window, waves his arm, and hollers, "Come on around, you impatient s** of a b****!!!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 07:25 pm:

The donkeys on Main St are a real "kick in the pants". Oatman is a must see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel Keefer on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 07:50 pm:

Anybody that can tell me where "The Apache Trail" is located??

Thanx
Noel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 07:57 pm:

Near Phoenix, AZ. Google "apache trail scenic drive"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 08:26 pm:

Is "apache trail" anything like "apache fog" I keep hearing about in the weather report?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 11:41 pm:

Old gass station North of Oatman on route 66
OAT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By peter kable on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 02:58 am:

We drove through Oatman last year on the way to the Celebrations in Richmond in our 1915 Kamper. Well worth the detour at least the road was in good shape. Better than Route 66 along the dessert.

One thing which struck me was the number of crosses on the side of the road, seems there was one neally every curve of the road. We were told they were mainly from Bikies who didn't quite make it around the bend.

My highlight of the town was the coffee we got there it has to rate as the worse cup I have ever had. A German bikie next to us anounces in German that they had given him dishwater.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 11:29 pm:

In the Southwest the crosses are known as descansos, roadside memorials in Spanish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael K Johnson on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 12:19 am:

The current trail is different than the one my parents talked about when I was young but here it is still a nice trip

http://www.apachetrail.net/

My grand parents were teamsters (growing & hauling hay & drygoods to the mines in that area) and farmers there in the late 19th century and left for Southern AZ when their farm was submerged by roosevelt lake which is an "Apache Trail" site..

My profile picture shows my mom around her new digs in South East AZ where they moved.

A cousin still lives in the area who has a model A coupe which he drove to ASU in Tempe in the sixties.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration