ACCESSORY OF THE DAY 12/13/09 TIFFANY PARKING LAMP

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: ACCESSORY OF THE DAY 12/13/09 TIFFANY PARKING LAMP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 11:48 am:

Here's a nice accessory new old stock fender mount parking lamp with whats left of the box.
tiffany tiffany1
tiffany2 tiffany3
tiffany4 tiffany5
tiffany6

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 12:04 pm:

I have one of these that I display with our '26 Touring. I attached a magnet to the base for display rather than drill holes in the fender so its removable.

Nobody knows what it is and its fun to explain.

I also have a later version for our Model A Town Sedan. Here on the East coast, these were required to be on cars in Philadelphia, Baltimore, and DC during the black-out years of WWII. Again, nobody knows what it is and its fun telling the history. We also have an "A" gas ration sticker in the windshield and a WWII era license topper to complete the "image."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A,J, Bell on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 01:56 pm:

Another nice one . . .

Patent number: 1475443
Filing date: Dec 8, 1921
Issue date: Nov 27, 1923
http://tinyurl.com/yb97coz

Regards
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher Lang on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 02:35 pm:

Wayne, can you post a pic of the Lamp on the car. I can't get my head around which colour points where. Perhaps I am too nautical in nature, I mean, if the colours aren't pointing the right way (Port-Starboard), how will people know wether you are coming or going?

I am also curious as to the size. It looks quite small- is it?

Thanks
Christopher

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 02:42 pm:

I got a kick out of the fact that the patent puts quotation marks around the word "parked."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 03:06 pm:

The Autowa has a hole in the left rear fender for one of those parking lamps. Seems that most localities had laws requiring cars parked on busy streets to have those lights on at night.
pic here

So I got a similar lamp, not as special as the Tiffany, that one is real fancy, but this one is easy to change the light bulb, just remove a screw on the cover and lift up.
pic here

and since whatever light was on the crown of the rear fender on the Autowa, must not have had an internal switch, so some prior owner put this push pull switch on the heel board of the rear passenger seat. The old wires run up inside the upholstery and out thru a hole in the inside of the fender apron.
pic here
So that is where I will control this light at night. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 03:19 pm:

Thank you Jay.

Christopher, I was confused too, until I read the directions several times and came to the conclusion that the nuts on the bottom are mounting bolts, not the electrical contacts. The contacts, which the directions say to mount toward the body, can only be seen once the plate is removed.

My interpretation of the directions are, to drill three (3) holes in top of the rear left fender and mount the light using the two mounting screws on the bottom. The third hole is for the wire to come up through to connect to the inboard contacts. I believe that, once the light is mounted correctly, the green light points outward, to the left (port), while the white light points forward (fore) and the red light points rearward (aft), so that any car approaching from the left will be able to determine which end of the car is which. Am I close, Jay?

Jim Patrick

PS. Anyone familiar with nautical running lights on boats knows that red is for port (left) and green is for starboard (right), so, the fact that this green light is meant to be mounted on the left fender shows that there is no relation whatsoever between this and nautical running lights. If it had, there would be a left and a right matching set with a red light pointing outward on the left fender and a green light pointing outward on the right fender.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 03:41 pm:

German, and maybe other, cars had special turn signal switches up at least into the 1970s. A friend, EE and avionics tech, worked for hours on his Porsche 914, trying to figure out why the left side parking lamps were lit when the car was shut off. He finally traced it to the turn signal lever being left engaged on Left.

When he told me, I laughed and said, "You never lived in Europe. Those lights are used for parking on their narrow streets at night."

yelo

CD

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A,J, Bell on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 03:55 pm:

Hi Jay and All

Here is a small article from page 342 of the March
1922 issue of Popular Mechanics, that appears to be
about the Tiffany Parking Light.
I notice that neither the patent drawing or the photo
in the article appear to show the third color lens
that is on Jay’s lamp.
Regards
Art

psarticle

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 04:54 pm:

Howdy All, glad to see this item sparked interest.
Chris, the jewels are one inch in diameter, which gives you the idea of the size.

Art, thanks for your contributions.

Jim, I believe you are right in your observations on the lamp.

Dan, Thats a cool light for the Autowa.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 04:59 pm:

Christopher -- To wet to take a picture today, but Jim is correct about the orientation. Remember, these were marker lights for use while the car was parked on a dark street with no street lights, not for use while the car was running. So mounting on the left rear fender, white to the front, red to the rear was similar to the cars running lights - white to the front, red to the rear. Not all the marker lights had the green light to the left, but basically if you could see the green light, you weren't likely to hit the parked car.

The one Dan has from the Autocar was the later version that was required on the east coast during the blackouts, but probably dates from the '30s. Apparently many folks opted to run these off of a separate battery from the cars battery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 05:19 pm:

ford

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 05:57 pm:

Here's a catalog page showing a couple of various styles, like the streamlined bullet one :-)

pic here

Surplus Auto Supply, Chicago, 1923

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher Lang on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 06:17 pm:

Oh! Okay, I get it now. I was thinking it was a "running" light. This makes much more sense to me. I understand that the green and red are not for left and right.

I always assume where the red and green go, once, I rode an eighty year old bike, with a carbide lamp on it. It had jewels on the sides of the lamp, left, red, right, green. Just like a boat.

Very cool lamps guys. Thanks for the clarity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel Keefer on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 08:16 pm:

Rick,
The car appears to have intentionally been placed in the boat.

Bet the boat and trailer loved that extra 1 1/2 tons aboard.

Regards,
Noel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 09:05 pm:

Nah, the 914 is only a long ton, 2200 lbs, Noel.

The side markers won't do much good in there, though.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 10:44 pm:

One thing shure about why it has redneck written all over it! Hope you had a good trip! Bud.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration