OT..Powder-coat

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: OT..Powder-coat
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Fultz on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 12:08 pm:

My wife wants the grates on top of the cook stove power-coated. (not the burners) I'm wandering how power-coat wear?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 12:41 pm:

Works good; lasts a long time. Most of them chalk in sunlight.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 09:53 pm:

If they're not burners, what grates are you talking about? Powder coat will soften between 140-180 degrees. (Depending on type and first cure.) I would go with a ceramic coating if it's anywhere near heat. PC isn't a particularly good wear surface. There's powders that wear better over others but not many that will stand up to stove top use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Klem on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 10:04 pm:

Powder coat looks great! Nice and shiny. Just don't use any abrasive (ie. brillo pads, ajax, etc.) on it, or it will dull to never shine again till being powder coated again! This is something to keep in mind especially when you do your rims.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 11:08 pm:

I get the impression many people think of powder coating as an enamel or ceramic coating because it is a baked on process. A friend of mine has a powder coating and plating business near me and he explained it to me as "Just another way of painting". I think with that in mind, manifold and cooking grill paints would stand up to much higher temps than powder coating.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 03:35 am:

Ken, I think he is talking about the cast iron grate above the burner on a gas cook stove. Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration