Fan hub

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Fan hub
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garry Potter on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 05:18 pm:

I have a 1926 Fordor and want to restore everything correctly.
I notice there are 2 different lengths of fan hub
Is the correct fan hub 3 1/8 lnches overall length, with the shaft section 1 5/8 inches and the pulley part 1 5/8 inches. Or is the shorter fan hub the correct one
Are the originals alumunum or do I have a repro.
Thanks
Garry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard G Goelz on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 05:21 pm:

Garry, it depends on which radiator you have.With a modern five row radiator the long hub will let the fan hit the rad,the long one was used on the three row radiator.
Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 08:27 pm:

Garry,
The short one is correct for the 26-27.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 08:46 pm:

Garry
Also check the fan blade itself for cracks. They have a tendency to fracture near the outer center of the hub. Here is a photo of what I found on my original when restoring it.
failed fan Blade
A nice powder coated reproduction blade is available from Lang's.
Ron Patterson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garry Potter on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 10:12 pm:

Thank you for the advice. I will look for the shorter fan hub.
I assume they are aluminum unless otherwise advised
Garry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 11:11 am:

If you have a 26 with the long hub, you have a particular Ford radiator. We went through this with my 27 a few months ago.
I might not have this exactly correct.
It seems that Ford tried to save a buck or 2 back then and built a staggered core radiator that didn't cool worth a damn. He was forced to build another radiator and replaced many of them. There are apparently still a few of the second design radiators around with the long hub necessary to get the fan close enough to pull air through the radiator.
Yes the hubs are aluminum and yes, they do have grease fittings.
The Brass Works radiators won't even go in with the long hub, that's how I found about all of this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James E Smitherman on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 12:22 pm:

Live and learn die and forget it all. I restored a 1926 touring two years ago and have not been able to drive it very for account of over heating.After reading fan hub I went and looked. Sure enough it has long fan hub and three rows of tubes. I gave up two weeks ago and order a new radiator from Brass works. Now I have to order new fan hub.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garry Potter on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 06:04 pm:

I also just installed a new radiator from Cornelius Bergbower with extra fins.
That is the reason I was asking about the short versus long fan hub

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 07:19 am:

James, My car ran warm with the old radiator. Right below boiling under hard conditions.
I had Tim at "Gen III" build me a new engine. I knew the original radiator wasn't going to cool the new engine, so I bought a new Brass Works radiator as well.
I installed the new engine and realized that the radiator wasn't going to go in without the fan being directly against it.

Gary, You want to be sure you have at least a couple inches between the front side of the fan blades and the new radiator,
Keep in mind that in the job of pulling air BACK through the radiator, the fan is also being pulled FORWARD toward the radiator.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration