How to repair bendix?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: How to repair bendix?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 07:16 pm:

I have a new drive gear for my bendix. Problem is 1)how do I get the old one off, and 2)how do I secure the new one?
It looks like the threaded part is punched at the sides to hold the tubular bit on the end. Does one drill out the punched over edges through the holes in the side?
What is the best way to secure it after? I don't want it dropping off into the transmission.
In fact, is this tubular end piece really needed? Won't the flywheel itself stop the drive gear running off the end of the bendix shaft?
Also there's a spring loaded pin on the back of the old drive gear that isn't there on the new one...what is it for?
bendix

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel Keefer on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 07:57 pm:

In the first pix you have the friction pin circled. It provides drag before engagement so that the Bendix doesn't move forward while going down a (steep) hill. It is supposed to ride the spiral gear and then provide the drag described.

Regards,
Noel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 08:16 pm:

JohnH
The Bendix "stop nut" (Yes, it is certainly required!) shown in your second and third photo is screwed onto the Bendix "drive shaft" with a fine right hand thread locked by two metal upsets into the holes on the ID of the stop nut.
To remove the stop nut use a punch remove the upset portion of the drive shaft end into the ID of the nut and screw it off. After you install the new Bendix "drive gear" re-upset the side of the drive shaft into the stop nut holes.
The spring loaded pin is the Bendix drive gear "anti-drift pin" and as Noel points out designed to keep the drive gear from rattling down the shaft and hitting the ring gear when the engine is running. I am surprised you new drive gear does not have one?
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike straughn on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 08:17 pm:

and in the second photo you have circled two circles. From the outside you will need a drift pin punch to knock the the tanged edge of the threaded shaft back towards the open center and once this is done the end will screw right off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 08:52 pm:

JohnH
Additionally, the Bendix stop nut runs in the starter mounting bracket bushing providing support for the 15 inch long starter armature.
Stop nut & bushing
Ron the Coilman

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration