Poor Boy's Speedsteer Rear End

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Poor Boy's Speedsteer Rear End
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Shelton on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 08:13 pm:

Some of you know a little the history of my car. Its a cut-off '23 touring. It came to me from my grandfather through a nephew of his. The nephew and his brother had cut off the back seat and shorted the car down with the back axle under the front (and then only) seat. Front end was lower with L brackets. Years ago I moved the car back to a full length frame and began the taks of restoring as a cut-off turned pickup truck. I left their cut down rear end in the barn until today, some 35 years or so after it came to me. I thought some of you might find it of interest. I'd never paid close attention to what they had done until today when I began tearing it down.

Here it is before tear down. You can see they just hack sawed the drive shaft tube and stuck the small end up inside the larger piece of tube. Radius rods were dispensed with. Right side had studs with nuts, the left side had what I am used to seeing (studs) holding the drive shaft in.

file

Here's a close up of the drive shaft. Pinion gear slop was horrible by the way.

file

Here's a view of the right side. Notice they lowered the rear end by moving the spring perch to the lower radius rod hole. If I ever knew that I forgot it years ago.

file

Here's the left side. Notice the cable hanging off of the brake cam. They had removed the right brake shoe so the car would spin around in the gravel when you jerked up on the brakes. I'm pretty sure this is the source of the odd wheel of the set that was on the left back. I'm sure they shattered the spokes out of the original.

file

Its a wonder my cousin Jay and his brother weren't killed in the rattle trap they created. Between this and the mortorcycle fuel tank mounted on a piece of springy steel where the right fender belonged its a wonder for sure.

The car had "Look What The Depression Done to Me" painted on the back when I got it years ago. Man they weren't kiddin'!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Shelton on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 08:15 pm:

Trying pics again...

file

file

file

file

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Shelton on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 08:20 pm:

Darn...ok here's the drive shaft...I hope...

file

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 01:24 pm:

Hmmm - are the brake baking plates smooth - or without he reinforcement ribs? Looks like they are which make it a 15-16 rear end... With an extra hole for the hanger :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Shelton on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 03:34 pm:

Mark,

I don't what to look for to determine if they are 15/16. Please tell me what to send a picture of. However, it appears to me that the perches are inseerted in the lower radius rod mounting holes. I hadn't questioned that and only uploaded the pics out of interest in how a couple of of kids did what they did back in the early '30s. Now you got me wondering. I was about to rebuild this thing to go under a '23.

Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Shelton on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 03:56 pm:

Mark,

Looked it up and I understand of what you speak (I think). I went out to shop and looked and sure enough lower inside (toward diff case) is indeed smooth on both halves. They clearly have two holes for radius rods and one hole for spring perch however. Transition piece?

Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Shelton on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 07:33 pm:

Do theese help?

Here's the inslide of the rear axle with the smooth plates:

file

Here's the inside on one i have with the reinforcing ribs on lower side of plate.

file

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Shelton on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 07:34 pm:

sigh.

trying again in order listed above

file

file

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 08:29 pm:

Steve
Mark is talking about the brake backing plates. On the 1915 they will have no reinforcing ribs on the bottom. They are just smooth. Leon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Shelton on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 09:55 pm:

Leon,

Have confirmed that. They are smooth. But Inoted the difference on the inside and wondered if that might mean something as well.

Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George House on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 11:13 am:

I've noticed quite a number of cut down tourings made into pickups on tours I've attended over the years. This might be a good time to bring your body style back into it's original touring car configuration. It would entail possibly the most difficult of tasks - rewooding. But it would considerably increase it's value. Steve, would you consider this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 11:49 am:

Sometimes the cut off rear ends were saved in a barn..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1925-model-T-body_W0QQitemZ330386252598

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Shelton on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 12:41 pm:

I've seen pictures now and then of them on a porch used as a "porch sofa."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 01:38 pm:

Steve, Leon is right, I was refering to the outside of the backing plate, but I have noticed other earlier housings having a larger webing in the center and assume it to have been a left-over from the riveted style posibly to reinforce the face more to support the riveted connection.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration