Mag ring rebuild

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Mag ring rebuild
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Sumner on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 07:51 am:

I would like to try my hand at rebuilding a mag ring. Does anyone have any left over supplies they would like to sell? Or a source for the all the materials needed? Thanks, Les

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 05:24 pm:

Les
I can help you with a source for the non twisting narrow fabric cotton tape used to wrap the rewound field windings. Send me an email.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By coreywalker on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 07:40 pm:

I've got a question to add. What is used to make the triangle block at the top directly under the solder puddle for the mag post contact? I have a mag ring that still looks o.k. All insulation is on and not frayed, but that block is disintegrated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 08:22 pm:

Corey
In my opinion, it is a mistake to repair any aspect of a used field ring and reinstall inside a Model T engine.
However the original field winding insulation "looks" the original cotton tape used to wrap the windings after 80 years is rotten and prone to falling off when it is installed inside an engine.
You can repair a magneto post area of a used field ring, but your stuck with the rest.
And remember if it fails it is not like a spark plug to replace.
Spend the money for a quality rebuilt field ring and you should never have to worry.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By coreywalker on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 08:38 pm:

That's what I need to do. I have a rebuilt one in my 14, I don't have to worry about it. I'm just always trying to figure out a way to save a nickle and probably waste more time and money than if I'd had just spent it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 09:42 pm:

I rewound one for use on my coil tester. It is fine for that purpose, but I don't think I would put it in an engine. I'm a real DIY kind of guy and pretty hard headed most of the time. I had read what the naysayers had to say about rewinding field coils and still had to try it for myself. I'm glad I did. It was quite an experience. I learned something and got a good appreciation for what it was like. However, I don't feel good about how well the coils will stay attached to the pole pieces. Maybe they would be fine in an engine, but if not.....I don't care to see copper spaghetti all inside my engine. On my coil tester, they are all right there for easy inspection where I don't have to worry about them. I'll buy one for the next engine I build.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration