Connecting rods

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Connecting rods
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony DiSalvo on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 08:33 am:

Hello, I am Happy to say I have joined the MTFC, and I am enjoying the magazine and all the help on this forum. My question is I am installing my connecting rods in my 1919 does the wrist pin bolt go on the cam side or the other side. like a dummy I did not take notice. Thank you and Happy Holidays

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 08:45 am:

Cam side is the way it was done from the factory though it should make no difference if it was the other side if new pistons are being fitted.

Make sure that when tightening that bolt that you take reaction to that torque by holding the wristpin, NOT the bottom of the rod, or the rod may get bent.

The easiest way to do this is to clamp a drift punch in a bench vise and place the hollow pin over the end of the punch.

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 10:54 am:

tool for piston pin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 11:00 am:

piston tool

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 10:18 pm:

Anthonie
How long have those pistons been in service? I was looking at the wear pattern and it struck my curiosity. Were you doing a rod job and rings?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 05:09 am:

Les;
I don't know the history of that piston, I just took one for the picture.Most of the ring and rod jobs I do it by myself ,if I can,t I go to a machine shop
Toon

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration