Windshield removal , 27 coupe

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Windshield removal , 27 coupe
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john a voss on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 03:16 pm:

How do I remove the windshield on a 27 coupe ?
Looks like it should slide sideways at the hinge .

thanks , jack

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard G Goelz on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 03:24 pm:

Jack, unhook the swing arms and push the windshield out almost horizontal and pull on one side it may take some tapping with a rubber mallet as the hinge can rust up,the wiper fitting will hit the post so watch it when it gets close.
Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 04:02 pm:

Construction of the two piece Frame:
The windshield frame on the '26-'27 coupe is composed of two pieces:
1. The upper crosspiece that runs straight across the top and is equipped with a piano hinge secured to the upper inside of the windshield frame enclosure.
2. The three sided bottom piece, consists of the curved bottom piece and the right and left upright side pieces.

The two pieces are held together by two countersunk slotted machine screws located on the upper arms of the two side pieces. At each end of the cross piece, there is a thin vertical flatbar pointing downward that slides down into openings in top of the side pieces with threaded holes that line up with the holes in the side pieces, through which the screws go to hold the three sided lower portion to the upper cross piece.

Removal:
It is easiest if you remove the swing arms and open the windshield all the way exposing the screws holding the piano hinge to the upper inside of the windshild frame enclosure. Carefully unscrew the screws, leaving the center screw for last and carefully remove the windshield frame from the opening. It helps if you have a friend support the open windshield as you unscrew the screws as it is fairly heavy due to the glass and very difficult to hold with one hand as you unscrew the screws.

When you have the windshield off. Remove the two slotted screws at the top of each arm and gently pull up on the upper cross piece. You may need to rock it or slightly tap it up with a block and rubber mallet to separate the upper cross piece from the lower upright arms.

Once this is done, the top of the glass will be exposed with the sides and bottom of the glass embedded in the petrified cork gasket. You will be lucky to get the original glass out in one piece, but you will most likely be installing safety glass so it is not really necessary to save the original glass. Just be careful that you don't bend the lower frame as you attempt to remove the glass. Better to break the glass and remove in pieces than to bend the frame in an attempt to save the glass, but beware that the broken shards are razor sharp. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 08:31 am:

Jack. Let us know how it turns out and if that worked for you. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 08:41 am:

PS. Thinking back on my experience in doing this 40 years ago, there are several access holes across the hollow body panel above the windshield which are normally covered by an upholstery panel. If those holes are not covered, you can use them to spray Blaster onto the screw threads inside this panel, securing the upper piano hinge and let them soak for a day. I recall the screws on mine were badly rusted and I had a very hard time getting them out. Had I not thought to use Blaster I would have probably stripped out the slots on the screws which then would have required me to use easy outs or drill them out and re-tap them, which you do NOT want to have to do, so be very careful. Jim patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john a voss on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 10:29 am:

Yep -- got it out, had to remove the panel above the windshield to get at the nuts . PB blaster & a few words
I got them out . Soaked the edges of the glass both sides with ATF/acetone mix for a few hours and glass
came out easily in 2 pieces . Should make a good pattern --- now off to the glass shop .

9 degrees , thanks -- jack

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jim yuill on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 10:20 pm:

I have a question regarding the 1927 coupe windshield frame.
There are 2 holes..approx 1/4-3/8" diameter (countersunk) on the face of the frame
approx 1-1/2"down from the top of the frame on the outside or face of the frame. There is one on each side. Is there something that should go in there? A plug or something. There is no logical explanation of them that I can think of.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Voss on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 10:45 pm:

Jim

There are screws that go in the holes. This helps to lock top to the sides.

Tim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration