California trip

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: California trip
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 06:07 pm:

StanGeneBillFrank.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 06:13 pm:

Hey Stan,

Did you forget who these guys are or are we to just guess?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 06:16 pm:

This is Frank Harris, his son Bill, Gene Carrothers and I drooling over the 13 that son Bill was working on the day I stopped by to visit a couple weeks ago. Finally got a chance to figure out the photo post deal and get this on here. It was a fun day. Got to see Gene's engine project, Bill's new car and meet Ralph Ricks and Frank. I got a ride in Ralph's little yellow pickup. He isn't lying about the freeway speeds. 55 down a city street and more to go. Even my brother, who isn't at all intrigued by this kind of stuff was pretty impressed with what we saw that day and said later if he had someplace to put it to work on it he'd have one of these speedsters. I told him that he could leave the wife's new Jag sit outside while he was working on it. Not funny. Well, he and I thought it was.

It is sure different there than here. It is ten below and has been snowing for the last couple days here. Supposed to get a heat wave tomorrow, up to about 20-25. It was 29 below the first night I got home from California.

Frank is 15 years older than me and has more hair than my brother and I put together. It is also darker as brother and I are plumb white. I still have a little skiff on top, brother has a flake or two but is getting pretty shiny. He is 5 older than me. Bill and Gene still have California hair.

I'll see if I can post one of Ralph and Gene and I.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 06:17 pm:

You can't expect me to learn to post photos and type in the box all at the same time. I am old and senile. Not as old and senile as Uncle Jack but old and senile. I was pretty proud of getting a picture on here. I thought you would recognize them anyway without me telling you who they were. =)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 06:19 pm:

december2009

Here is Ralph Ricks, Gene Carrothers and me. I'm the one without the California tan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 06:22 pm:

Hey, Walker!!! Notice that there is about 20 lbs less of me than there was! How you doing on the barbeque and bourbon diet we were on when I visited you???????? I wish I had taken a picture of my brother with these guys. He looks exactly like me except 100 pounds lighter and has a little less hair. We could have fooled you into thinking I lost 100 lbs. He is a little shorter too, but that would be hard to tell in the picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 06:44 pm:

I was expecting to see a big fat guy Stan!
You look pertty trim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 06:51 pm:

Well hell Stan, what makes you think I wasn't going to harass you any time I get a chance. Thanks for posting the photo's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 07:00 pm:

Stan
Well I am looking forward to meeting all these guys next month. Now at least I know what they look like. They won't know me until I open my mouth!! eh!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 07:33 pm:

Stan what did Ricks do his left hand, and you look GREAT (less some lbs) I've lost 130 lbs this last 2 years, my wife has lost about 1/2 that too and we both feel better, especially Knees feel better, Mr Harris has been to Fulton Mo with his speedster on our last Natl MTFCA tour in 99, nice to see the son and Gene Carrothn't had the pleasure I don't believe see you in Chickasha, was 52 here this a/m., now in 20's with heavy NW wind

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 07:37 pm:

That may be the best attended meeting they have had in quite awhile. Everybody I talked to was looking forward to seeing your new parts you are making and to meeting you in person. Comment was, "He's a smart guy,eh?" =)

Wish I could go along but John Steel and I are going to Oklahoma the first week in January and I have to come home and work to make some bucks. Sounds like a fun trip, tho. Down to San Diego and off to the land of Senioritas and flowers and the sea when it is colder than a dog sled musher's thumb in Calgary. Harry and Rose are in Panama and I'm stuck here in the frozen northern wasteland for the duration. Woe is me, woe is me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 07:39 pm:

John, he had a little discussion with a table saw about who was tougher and quicker. Table saw won. At least that was his story when I was there.
130 Lbs!!!!!!!! I thought there was little less of you to love the last time I saw you. I was afraid to ask, thought maybe you'd been sick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 10:09 pm:

Stan
Look into flying down in late January.
Les

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 11:17 pm:

No Stan not sick, just got short in the budget here 2 yrs ago, so Karen and I cut out lunchs, paid off with weight loss, and feeling better in me OLD AGE, 70 is a coming in July, but she is only 60 she out walks and works circles around me anytime, I actually Met Ricks several years in St. Charles Mo on the Great Race, and remet him in Chickasha one eve, we have corresponded some over time, in fact we traded 4 dip pans several years ago, I got the one for the A crank modification

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 11:17 pm:

Yo, Unca' Stan -- I hear you talking but I don't see any profile shots. The bourbon and BBQ diet is still working quite well for me, thank you. (I won't be posting any profile shots either. :-) )

By the way, where in OK are you heading in January?

"Woe is me, woe is me." It's your choice to stay up there in that frozen white wasteland. There are plenty of good pieces of property available here in God's Country, and lots of Model T activities. And it's only 4-1/2 hours to Chickasha!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 11:37 pm:

You could zip over to Broken Arrow the first week in January and buy us barbeque and bourbon. I'm not exactly sure where we are going but John is afraid to venture in Okie country without protection so I'm going along in case we run into Tiger's ol' lady down there. We figure she would swoon at the sight of me and put the golf club down.

Actually, we are taking a Faultless speedster body down to somebody to restore and are going to go see Fred and Mike and Larry and the guys around Tulsa. Should be lotsa fun.

RE: Frozen wasteland. You'd be hard pressed to find any Christmas cards with bucolic winter scenes of churches and sleighs, bunny rabbits and beautiful horses standing in a snow covered field if it weren't for this frozen wasteland.

Plus, you have chiggers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 11:55 pm:

Chigger bites go away in about 3 days. Your snow is there for several months. I'll take an occasional chigger bite.

I'd be glad to zip over to T-town and see you guys, since it's only 2 hours away. I understand they have bourbon and BBQ there, so I'll be glad to buy dinner. Fred and Larry don't drink, so it will be up to the rest of us to take up the slack for them. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 12:50 am:

I'll let you know for sure when we're coming. I should remember the name of the guy who's doing the body but it escapes me. Old and senile. Maybe you can load up Bill and bring him along. We'd just have a big time with all of us T guys partying it up and talking T's. I'll look forward to it. I know John will. He can talk T's and speedsters for days.

How's that old joke go? I hear Mike don't drink any more. Well, he sure ain't drinking any less.

Sumpin like that. My age has caught up with me on the partying. I was in Las Vegas for several days at the National Rodeo finals with hundreds of pretty little barrel racers and rodeo geezerettes and every age in between to party with and I had about four drinks all the time I was there and donated $25 to the blackjack game at the Horseshoe just for old time's sake. They'd have a lot of trouble keeping anyplace open on me anymore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 02:04 am:

Here's an update on the Speedster shown at the top of this thread:
My Dad & I almost had the '13 running today. We're having trouble getting the Bosch DU4 Magneto timed properly. Our next step is to pull off the front drive cover & move it one tooth at a time until it will fire properly. We did get some fun backfires & smoke though. If anyone has experience setting up a DU4 on a non-generator early T, please chime in.
x

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 03:33 pm:

Thanks for coming by, Stan. You told how fast the ol' brass picup goes, but failed to mention how fast it stops, which is more important.

Hand is mostly healed now. Was a shaper kickback bruise, not a cut. . Middle joint of middle finger is still sore. . Gotta' be more careful.

We got back home from DC late last night. Lotta' catchin' up to do..

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 03:39 pm:

Ralph, I once heard Washington DC defined as "68 square miles surrounded by reality."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 07:00 pm:

Before the trip, I heard horror stories about DC. We had a completely positive experience. People were friendly and helpful. Most Metro riders were in their cocoons, of course. The streets were clean. The worst was the awful security measures and barricades put in since 911. Bin Laden could have had no idea how much he would win.

met

met2

wh

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 08:52 pm:

Stan

When you coming to Tulsa, got lots of place for B and B, one place comes to mind but I can't remember the name. I just nicknamed it "Meat on stick". They just keep bring out different meats until you pop or quit.

Mike Bender
Tulsa OK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 12:03 am:

The plan at this point is the first week of January. It is John's trip, he is taking a speedster body down to have it worked on, I'm going along because I am too lazy to work or cook and this looked like a cheap trip where I won't have to work and there will likely be good food along the way and when we get there. John likes to eat and he has a new Chevy diesel with reclining seats so I can sleep along the way. I think it may depend on when he gets the project ready to go. I'll give you an update when we get closer. Be good to see all you guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Iversen on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 12:22 am:

Hurrying to an oncology billing siminar at Ceasar's, Las Vegas, I commented to my wife that the fellow passing through the pay station at the breakfast buffet sure presented a resemblance to one of the MTFCA forum regulars. Now that I finally see a portrait quality pic of the wanderer from Red Fox Lane, I realize I may have missed a chance to say hello to the intrepid Mr. Howe. Small world, as is so often said. It would have seemed more probable had I realized the rodeo nationals were slated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 12:37 am:

Small world indeed! That was me. I had the Ceasar's breakfast buffet two mornings while I was in Vegas. It was wonderful. I ate fifty bucks worth of fresh salmon each morning plus all the other wonderful stuff. Only breakfast buffet I've ever seen with lobster claws on it. I intended to do the Mandalay Bay buffet the last morning but ended up at the Rio instead. Bad move. Bad food. Bad buffet. I wish you had stopped me to say hello.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 02:22 am:

Stan - Sounds like you had a great little trip! I'd like to do more of what you just did; meet some of the guys that I feel have become friends on this forum; sort of like the way you and I got together in Deer Lodge, Montana last summer when you checked out the performance of my Ruckstell in my depot hack, and taught me how to shift it!

I hope to make it to Chickasha in March and hope to meet a few more of the guys and try out a piece of John, Ron and Don's Chickasha pizza.

Are you going down to Chickasha? (say yes)

Anyway, glad to hear you had such a nice trip; now ya' better get out there to that shop and build a fire and "Ruckstellify" a couple rear ends! Ha,ha,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 03:05 am:

It's fun. You'd better get there early if you want pizza. You can't believe how fast those guys can go through a huge stack of pizzas.

I'm Stombergifying carburetors for a few more days, then I'm gonna U & J ify one and then it's on to a couple Ruckstells. All fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome R. Hoffman, Hays KS on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 04:29 pm:

Stan, if you guys come my way on your way give me a holler. No bar-b-q here any more but good M&M that's Mexican and Margareta's. To bad you guys won't be coming at the end of the month as those guys from Tulsa will be up here for our winter clinic in Hutchinson. Then you'd have a chance to mingle with 40 or 50 of us infected with the model T virus. Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 08:12 pm:

When is that clinic, Jerome? I don't think John knows anything about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome R. Hoffman, Hays KS on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 12:01 am:

4th Saturday in January--this year it will be the 23rd. On Friday night we as a group go out for dinner at Montana Mike's, a steak place. Stan do you eat stake? just kidding. Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 11:22 am:

Jerome Stan eats STEAK, a stake is like eating wood

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration