Another connecting rod question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Another connecting rod question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By coreywalker on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 09:04 pm:

I once read on the forum that when cars left the factory there were no shims in the rods. I went out this evening and took a rod cap off an engine I got a week or 2 ago and no shims. I pulled the head off and it has Ford script standard pistons with little wear on the cyl walls. I didn't check with plastigage but I could find no looseness in any of the rods. I'm thinking maybe this engine wasn't run much. It's a replacement block, no serial #'s. My question is, how did people initially adjust bearings? By filing the caps? Then over time all the caps were filed and shims were supplied when new babbitt was poured? I'll check the clearances this weekend, but I've never disassembled an old motor where something wasn't worn out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 10:27 am:

Exactly.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration