Speedometer Restoration

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Speedometer Restoration
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 10:12 pm:

I recently had three speedometers restored by Russ Furstnow. His service and workmanship is excellent. Russ even came up with a hard to find Jones speedometer set- up for me. I would highly recommend Russ for your speedometer restoration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 10:17 pm:

I have 2 cars with speedometers restored by Russ. I will tackle most things when restoring a T but a speedometer is not one of them. For what it is worth you can add my recomendation for his good work.

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Niederhauser on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 09:52 pm:

My speedometer was broken and my cable had been cobbled together with parts not correct for my car. Russ Furstnow rebuilt my speedometer, sold me a restored cable that was correct for my car, and was very willing to take the time to coach me with the assembly of all the components. I would highly recommend Russ. Very knowedgeable. Very nice man.

Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff rey L. Vietzke on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 10:00 pm:

I met Russ at Bakersfield. Even though he was swamped by question-askers, he still had time to help me out. A true gentleman, and a class act.
Jeff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM WILSON on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 10:58 pm:

I certainly echo every comment re Russ' knowledge, workmanship and willingness to help get my speedometer setup in first class condition. The cost was very reasonable as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Rigdon on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 05:10 pm:

Yep, I'm in the market for a speedo restoration. Do you fellows have an e-mail or snail mail address for Russ Furstnow? Would appreciate.

Bill Rigdon '25 Fordor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM WILSON on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 06:22 pm:

RUSSELL F FURSTNOW
E-mail Address(es):
1stnow@msn.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 12:14 pm:

I want to thank everyone for the nice comments. I try to help people with their speedometer questions. It's just part of our great hobby! Russ Furstnow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 12:22 pm:

He runs a heck of a Canyonlands Tour, too.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester Leighton on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 01:37 pm:

I don't currently have a speedo set up on my 26 but I do have a Stewart speedo I believe is correct for that year. I have no idea what the drive mechanism looks like or the cable or anything. I don't know how or where to mount the sppedo. Is there a book or books that I can use to learn these things? The info in my T restoratin books consist of old ads which are great if you already know the answers but slim on pictures for those who have no experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Rigdon on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 01:38 pm:

Thanks for the e-mail info Jim. It's always my preference to deal with those that encourage the hobby.

Bill R. '25 Fordor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls,WI on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 02:03 pm:

Chester, MTFCA has a book on speedometers that all the vendors should have. $12. I believe it has all the info you will need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 03:52 pm:

Chester, The MTFCA book that I wrote in 1995 has many of the basics, but also contains many omissions. My new book, published in 2007, has extensive coverage on the 1926-27 Fords, and much more. Hope this helps, Russ Furstnow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By curtis morin on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 07:54 pm:

russ's work is the best,he is full of knowlede thanks curtis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 08:42 pm:

I expected to see internals in the new book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 09:09 pm:

Rick, What would you like to see the internal of???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 09:17 pm:

Rick, I'm sorry the new book did not meet with your expectations, but there are approximately 200 different speedometers/parts discussed in the new book, and I really could not disect each piece. The old book has restoration instructions for the most common speedometer heads/parts that can be helpful for someone wishing to restore their own speedometer.

If there is something specific you would like to know about the internals of your speedometer setup, just give me a call/email and I'll try to help. Russ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 09:20 pm:

The heads. As you know, the internals of the early Stewart are quite different from the ones for 1911 and later cars. Some disassembly, repair tips and lube advice would have been nice.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 05:50 pm:

Rick, I' m sure you already know this, but Stewart Model 26 heads from 1910, 1911, and 1912 are entirely different. There are NO interchangeable parts with these years other than the input gear!! This, along with the complexity of the heads themselves, make it very difficult for novice restorers to repair these units without damaging the head, and I DON'T recommend the repair of these heads by anyone other than a professional. The Stewart Model 100's and Model 160's are straight forward and can be restored, with care, by most individuals. Just my two cents, Russ Furstnow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doyle Anderson on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 06:53 pm:

I am interested in piecing together a speedometer on my dads speedster. Based on what I see above, would you recommend a model 100 or 160? Are parts easier to find for any particular model?
Thanks, Doyle

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 09:14 pm:

Doyle, If your speedster has a dashboard, go with the Model 160 with plastic odometer dials. If you are going to mount it to the firewall, go with a Model 102 or 100. Hope this helps, Russ Furstnow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doyle Anderson on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 12:02 pm:

Russ,
Thank you, now I have a targeted item to watch for. By the way I have your book and it's great!
Doyle

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration