AECCSSORY OF THE DAY 12/16/09 KANT-SLIP EXTENSION PEDALS

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: AECCSSORY OF THE DAY 12/16/09 KANT-SLIP EXTENSION PEDALS
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 10:59 am:

Here's an accessory foot pedal extension that clamps onto the low pedal or brake pedal. The originals were cast in iron, this one is a cast in brass repop. and can be had from one of the parts vendors, I got this one from Langs last year.
kantslip kantslipad
kantslip1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 11:13 am:

I like "Pin a dollar bill to this ad and send it to us with your name and address..."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred E HoustonD on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 11:22 am:

Jay, I have the original pair from which the bronze ones were cast on my 1920 Ames Speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 11:49 am:

When I first started driving the Speedster, it had the late, wide pedals. I worried about the foot slipping off the brake pedal when I went to the narrow ones, and used the rubber pads. Had no problem there, and later went to early lettered pedals. Still not a problem, dry or wet.

Of course, I have a seatbelt to keep my butt in place, so the pedal is always in the same location..

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls,WI on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 01:46 pm:

I wonder who Imperial was. I grew up in Racine and never heard of them. Course I never heard of RAJO either, but I know where they were.

Jay, do you have an address on that ad?

Wonder if they were both in the same neighborhood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A,J, Bell on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 01:54 pm:

Hi All

Lots of different styles of pedal pads were patented in
the Model T era, but these were one of the best designs.

John Reichert
Patent number: 1445355
Filing date: Nov 17, 1921
Issue date: Feb 13, 1923
http://tinyurl.com/yajqetf

It looks like John had a plan “B” model as well, that
used a cavity with a rubber insert over the screws.
He had a number of patents issued to him for a variety
of unassociated items, beginning in 1902. Many of them
had to do with horses, but he did keep up with the times.

Regards
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 02:12 pm:

Dave, Don't have an address. IMPERIAL brass works made alot of automotive devices, but they hail from Chicago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A,J, Bell on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 02:41 pm:

Hi Dave

The company’s name was Imperial Bit and Snap Company,
which would explain John Reichert's first patents being for
harnesses. A lawn edger as well as automobile non slip devices
(tire chains) were among his other patents.

Regards
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls,WI on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 02:59 pm:

There were a lot of brassworks in Racine and Kenosha to supply American Motors and J I Case.

The RAJO factory was near where Modine's is now, and all those old industrial buildings changed hands many times. Next time I am down there, I should take a picture of the RAJO plant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A,J, Bell on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 03:02 pm:

Hi Dave

A little more info on Imperial . . .
Their address was 14th and Clark, and were described as a
“Manufacture of harness hardware and malleable castings”.

Regards
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A,J, Bell on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 04:03 pm:

Here is a current photo of Clarke and 14th Street.

ClarkeAnd14StreetRacine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A,J, Bell on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 04:36 pm:

Hi All

If this link works you can have a little fun with it.
http://tinyurl.com/yzvvatq
Wait till the Street View (photo) opens, then click on the “Expand” icon
(the little square with 4 arrows) in the upper right hand of the photo.
Control the direction of view by dragging the compass “N”, clicking
on the arrows or use mouse left button when curser (diamond shape)
is near the top of the screen.
Curser changes from travel to zoom or close up as you move it around.
What will Google come up with next – Keep your window blinds closed <@^@>
Enjoy!

Regards
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls,WI on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 04:52 pm:

And RAJO was only 2-3 blocks away. I wonder if they talked with each other? Might have been friends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 01:29 pm:

I thought that someone might like to see a few more types of pedal pads.

The first picture is my 19 center door. when I restored it 25 years ago I only wore western boots that had the slick leather soles, so I installed 26 pedals.

A357b

I have installed original racine pads on my 16 touring. I have had a little trouble with them not staying straight on the pedals. I think I have them tight enough now that maybe they will stay in place.

I installed a flat accessory pad on my 24 coupe and seems to work real well and stays in place.

357c

These are somewhat similiar pads to the ones I put in my coupe. One shot shows the underside with the bolt to hold it in place.

A358d

This pad had a series of large spikes and is held in place with tabs.

A358e

This is a picture of another type of pad held on with a bolt that you can see in the bottom. They were originaly covered with rubber but the rubber as long since pretty well worn off.

A358f

The next pad would be a good one for the reverse. It had a heavy rubber insert that stuck out about a quarter of on inch higher than the rim. The rubber fell out and I am not sure where it is. It is held on by tabs.

A359a
A359b

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 02:03 pm:

Dave, Many thanks for sharing. Here's a pair of NOS pedal pads that look like the ones on your 24 coupe.
suregripedal suregripedal1
suregripedal2 suregripedal3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 02:32 pm:

Jay that it you should have them one one of your Ts.

Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration