Rear Axle Sleeves

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Rear Axle Sleeves
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack McRoberts on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 09:59 pm:

I've attached a couple of photos showing the installation of my axle sleeves into my 1917 left axle housing.
I checked that these are the correct ones for the left side, ie the cut is at the bottom, but when they went in as you can see, there is only a small half moon gap on the left of the first pic (if you can see past the detritus), through which oil can seep into the bearing.
Can this be correct or should I attempt to mark where the hole should be in the sleeve and elongate the existing hole a touch (if I can, given that this is hardened steel).

Jack

axle
axle1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 10:47 pm:

Screw in a grease cup or zerk fitting and see how easy the grease goes in, then make your decision.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Augustinovich on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 04:37 am:

I had the same problem a longtime ago and made the hole bigger. Haven't had any problems with it. Maybe someone just missed the mark punching the hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack McRoberts on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 08:03 am:

Thanks - I have elongated the hole. It wasn't as hard as I thought.

Jack

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration