1911 torpedo floor mat

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: 1911 torpedo floor mat
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 12:53 am:

The information I have received is that the 1911 torpedo floor mat is 33" long by 30 3/8" wide (reading from a photocopy of Ford's drawing). Does this compare with the space in someone's car. I can read most of the details but the overall dimensions are poor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 10:03 am:

I don't know the original specifacations but the area in my torpedo floor area would be 33 inches from the heel area to the intersection of the floorboard and the firewall. The greatest distance for width is 32 and one half inches. I have trimmed a white floor mat, one that is available from the vendors, to fit all of the nooks and crannies. The incline of the floorboards intersects a curb that is below the doors. The level portion of the floor is about two inches lower than the curb or threshold of the doors. I made a template to mark my floormat out of pieces of tarpaper trimmed to fit the areas, then I taped the pieces together using the pedal and brake lever slots as benchmarks in the new mat. I laid the template over the new mat markedthe outline, crossed my fingers and cut around the outline. The mat fit the first time. The main difference I see is that the new mat is about four inches short in the area where your heel rests. I made up this difference with a piece of ribbed black rubber floor mat.

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 11:54 am:

Herb
So the length is OK but the width is suspect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 02:56 pm:

Yes Les. That would be the case if the mat needs to go all the way to widest part of my cars floorboards..
Perhaps there should be a concensus of torpedo owners.

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john r. wightman on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 03:36 pm:

I did the same thing Herb did, that is, ordered 2, trimmed one to fit, and then spliced in the back of the second one to fill the 4 inch gap at the back/seat base area. Rollie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 09:43 am:

If you want it authentic you can then paint it white or near white with Corvette Bumper paint - I kid you not - you can paint a black mat white. It is only recommended for show cars since it won't hold up too long but it does work and look right - for awhile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon W. Griesenbeck on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 11:27 am:

Did the same thing for my Torpedo, cut up two white mats and sectioned in the pieces. Spoke with Don Snyder tried to get him to make new ones but he said there wasn't enough call. Maybe we could get a number togehter and see if its enough for Don to have them made. I'll buy 2. When you piece it together and use alittle automotive seam sealer you can spray it with vinyl dye with a little flex additive mixed in and it will look great. Thanks, Jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 12:30 pm:

I see in the latest horseless carriage gazette there is a '11 torpedo for sale in Woodbine MD (Gordon Kirwan 410 442 2478) Perhaps his car has a original/correct one.
It seems to me the real problem is we are unsure as to the correct dimensions/ details. Were they double sided? This seems to be a distinct possibility.
Once that is determined then it might be possible to get them made for a cost that some owners might regard as acceptable. Only each individual can decide if $300.00 or so is acceptable for a quality reproduction.
Also it appears there is a drawing at the Benson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Skinner on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 03:42 pm:

Les, the drawing I E'd to you probably came from the Benson, so the original may be much more readable than my copy.
Double sided would just double the die costs, surely?
But then again it would probably be more authentic if in white rubber, and we RHD boys would have something we could buy and use.
David Skinner-England

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 08:37 pm:

Les if what Jon did is near correct as per the drawings, could a mat made like his be used as a core to make a mold for more mats that would then be one piece? I don't know if there is a technique such as I am thinking about that uses a substance that would stand up to repeated use in making a rubber mat. Could an aluminum mold stand the repeated use? Is the rubber extremely hot during the process. The mats for the NRS Fords that are being made have been described as having a fabric in them, should these also have this ?

I'm just thinking out loud.

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 08:49 pm:

Herb
No doubt a aluminum mold would work. We are likely not talking more than 10 floor mats total production. That being said perhaps there is a larger market if it will fit many of the T speedsters around similar to what Rootlieb makes.

If I understand you right your suggestion is to use a glued up rubber mat to mold up a cast aluminum press plate? In theory yes. In practice pretty tricky. If you try to mold it up in sand you will lose a lot of "resolution". If you molded it up in plaster of paris you will keep more resolution but it won't take the heat of aluminum well. You can pour babbitt against plaster just fine (really nice resolution)

On top of which this pressing mold needs to be plenty strong to take the vulcanizing forces..
Here is the deal. If you are going to do this you want to make it right, not just sort of right!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 09:43 pm:

I am pretty sure most of the early mats were rubber impregnated canvas. I recall seeing that on one or more of the mat drawings. You will also have to pay Ford a Royalty on the whole thing since they do have Ford script on them. Snyder generally puts some sort of marking on his mats that is not authentic. He put the year of use on at least some of them. Not sure if he would make them authentic enough to warrant a special run. I would suggest you might want to simply get a bunch of people together and do them yourselves as a cartel arrangement ha ha. The Olds club recently did a rather complicated authentic floor mat for the CDO (1901-1907) so perhaps those guys would help or at least point you in the right direction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Skinner on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 10:42 am:

here's the pic of the mat
mat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Skinner on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 11:10 am:

Excuse that. Ignore it.
Let's try again with a pic (JPEG this time) of that Torpedo mat.
torpedo mat

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration