Sediment bowl to tank

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Sediment bowl to tank
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trevor Rayment on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 11:18 am:

Hi
I just bought a new sediment bowl for my 1922 tourer (to go with the new carb, fuel line etc).
Can anyone tell me the procedure for sealing the thread where it screws in the tank, please? (I'm in England and we don't have some of the brands mentioned in these threads. Loctite, etc is readily available).
Thanks
Trevor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 11:39 am:

I have always used teflon pipe thread tape

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Decker on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 11:47 am:

Trevor:
If you consider Teflon pipe thread tape; I'm sure that yellow is recommended for fuels?

tape

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 12:01 pm:

While teflon tapes do work good, the paste is a better sealer to use because it seals better with less stress in the materials it is used on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 06:49 pm:

I've had white Teflon tape in for 7 years now and not a leak.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dexter Doucet on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 07:39 pm:

I like pipe joint compound.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 08:10 pm:

Aviation Fuel Lube, available from the usual T parts vendors or Aircraft Spruce.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 09:28 pm:

If you use Teflon tape, be sure to leave the first thread uncovered. Some people like to cover the end of the thread, that is a no no as the tape can be cut off and leave a piece to get lodged where it shouldn't be. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 02:48 am:

Okay, I'll tell you the old way. Wet and let sit till it softens (but not too soft), a standard old fashion type of bar soap. Just plain old hand, or bath, soap in the bar form, not the new liquid types. Rub it into the threads of the sediment bowl and install. Gasoline does not dissolve it, it does not glue it in place and can be removed years later and re-installed with minimal troubles. One important word of caution, DO NOT let the soap into the area inside where the gasoline flows through. If it gets into the fuel line, it WILL cause a plug that gasoline WILL NOT flush out. (Did that once and had to soak the fuel line with water for two days before it would blow out with the air compressor!) Otherwise I have used soap on fuel lines for 35 years with no problems from it. I usually carry a small piece on tours because almost dry it can often stop a gas tank leak that pops up unexpectedly, as well as wash hands with after other breakdowns.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 08:15 am:

Yes indeed, and soap does a great job of lubricating and sealing those pesky leak-prone brass fuel shut-off valves.

I can't imagine why anyone who collects model Ts would use anything but good old bar soap. The couple of bucks they'd save by not having to buy anything can buy them something at a swap meet or a garage sale. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 10:51 am:

FYI... Aviation valve lube and soap can cause sticking (open and closed) of both the regular needle & seat and grose jet style fuel inlet valves. I've seen big globs of the valve lube in new sediment bulbs. Remove as much "extra" lube as you can because if it gets loose in the fuel system, you may have to replace fuel lines and seriously clean out your carb to eliminate it. (not my personal experience, but something I have known about for quite a while)

With that said, they are both good sealants, although need to be used in moderation and with care.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration