Coil storage

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Coil storage
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 05:01 pm:

Both my T's are in closed, weatherproof garages but subject to cold and colder winter temps as I have no heat. I leave the coils in the boxes. Is this an accepted practice ? Cars are stored from November thru early May. Interested in your opinions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Gelfer on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 05:26 pm:

Cold won't hurt coils. Put the battery on a shelf in the basement, hooked up to a Battery Tender.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 06:00 pm:

I was told it is best to remove the coils boxes and place them in ziplock bags and store them inside the house. Then in the spring put them in a warmed oven heated to 150 degrees. Turn off the oven and place the coils on the oven racks and let them sit for an hour as the oven cools. This will dry any moisture out of the boxes.

I addition also made some of silica packs used for flower drying and slip them into the bags also for the winter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 06:01 pm:

You can put the battery on the floor, it will be much safer. Disregard any advice from anyone who believes that concrete somehow damages batteries.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 06:14 pm:

I bought some wooden coils from Ron Patterson and I asked him about moisture-proofing. He suggested that I paint the wooden cases with boiled linseed oil until they wouldn't soak up any more. So I did and never had any problems with them.

My garage is enclosed and somewhat heated, but I live in Louisiana where it is damp.

Regarding that battery, I suggest leaving it in the car with the ground strap disconnected. Removing it from the car is unnecessary. Charge it to 100% with a 2 amp or less charger before storage and again before use in the spring.

Seth

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration