ACCESSORY OF THE DAY 12/18/09 ANCO COMBO INTAKE/EXHAUST MANIFOLD

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: ACCESSORY OF THE DAY 12/18/09 ANCO COMBO INTAKE/EXHAUST MANIFOLD
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 11:40 am:

Out of all the many aftermarket one piece manifolds I would have to say this one is my favorite. I run one of these on our 1927 speedster. Not only does it look great installed with no engine hood side panels, it runs great as well, even without a carb stove.
ancomanifold ancomanifold1
ancomanifoldad

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 11:50 am:

Here's the picture of the Anco manifold on our 27 speedster which I overlooked posting with the other photos.
anco27speedster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By eric flower on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 12:00 pm:

I have one of these that I got off the bay for a nice price because of the rusted threads....I'm going to wate till the new year and put a new pipe and muffler....
I painted it a cast metal with black letters and it looks good but I would like to know what it looked new..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 01:04 pm:

Here is my Wilmo manifold. I posted the ad rather than the actual piece which is in excellent shape.

wilmo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JACK ROSSI on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 02:04 pm:

Jay, love these accesories of the day...Only trouble is, I wind up wanting some of them. like the hot spot you put on today.....price of 5.95 seems pretty god too....lol Can you post some possibles where they may be found??

Jack

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 02:46 pm:

Jay:

You are right on when you say that you like your Anderson Manifold. I have two of them on two of my cars and just sold a 13 with one on it.

I wish someone would do a CFM test on an Anderson. I have many miles on my CD and with the Anderson manifold even though the CD is heavy it out pulls most of the other Ts. Another reason that I like the Anderson is that you don't have to worry about it being warped.

The first picture of the Anderson is on my 12

A362a

The second picture is one on my Center Door. With a Haibe Head and the Anderson I can really pull the hills.

A362b

This picture is a heater manifold and shell on my Coupe. It really works good in the winter around here.

A362c

I hope you can see the trap door in the floor of my coupe. I keep it open in the winter and closed in the summer. The shell on the manifold lines up with the trap door.

A363d

I used to change to a heater manifold on my Center Door every winter but don't any more. There are more than one type of heater manifold. On these two the rear side of the manifold is hollow which helps direct hot air into the trap door. Some are hollow on the top of the rear. And some are not hollow anywhere.

A363e

My intake on my Montana 500 car is the early aluminum intake. We are allowed to use the early intakes and they produce better CFNs.

A363f

Frank:

I think that the Wilmo is good also. I had one I put one my boys Center Door and it runs like a scared jack rabbit. Again you would not ever have to worry about a warped manifold. I wish someone would do a CFM Test on a Wilmo also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By eric flower on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 02:55 pm:

I like how the Wilmo use's a bolt....I also love to see and read about these rare items...it makes me want all of them too
I'm starting collect little by little ...I've got a few items...like 2 carbs a 3 bolt Holley and a brass Kingston,locking steering wheel,Anderson manifold and a water pump that I thought I needed when it was the head gasket...lol..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 03:50 pm:

We have a member in the Long Beach Model T Club who has over 50 different Model T Ford water pumps with no two alike. He has them cataloged into two different groups. The inside leakers and the outside leakers. He says all water pumps leak.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A,J, Bell on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 05:01 pm:

Hi All

Wow this was a tough one – lots of similar designs and nothing that
I seen in any of the patents I searched “positively” identified or connected
Jay’s manifold to any one of them.

Anco had moved from Southbend to Gary, and this is some of the info
that I run across while searching . . .

The – ANderson COmpany
Gary, Indiana
John W. Anderson
(Yes – They are the windshield wiper guys !)

Slogan – “Starts 'Em Quicker, Runs 'Em Slicker”

Henry Ford, impressed with his products, selected them as original Model T equipment.

Now the closest patent match that I found while searching
(and I don’t believe it’s the correct one) was the following . . .

Patent number: 1432394
Filing date: Nov 2, 1917
Issue date: Oct. 17, 1922
http://tinyurl.com/ylov6q5

Regards
Art

Now here is an inventor that lived dangerously!!!

GasHeat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 05:36 pm:

Jay
Here is a photo of my Economy Vaporizer intake manifold on my Model T. These things work great in cool or wet climates.
Economy Vaporizer
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 05:53 pm:

Many thanks guy's for sharing, Its great stuff, neat manifold Ron.
Here's a Pecks super heat manifold, It wieghs a hefty 13.5 pounds. In context the Anco wieghs 11.3 pounds and the Wilmo 9.2 pounds (I just wieghed them all).
peckssuperheat peckssuperheat1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 10:42 pm:

anco
wilmo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 10:48 pm:

We run an Anco on our '23. I like it. It's a great conversation piece.

My '14 had a Wilmo when I got it. I swapped it out in favor of a stock intake and exhaust (don't worry, I installed a safer fuel line while I was at it). I did not notice any change in performance. When I sold the Wilmo, the money it brought paid for two new front tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 11:05 pm:

Here are some photos of my GASAVER MANIFOLD. Needs to have the threads replaced and cleaned up where it mates to the block. I have not tried it, but I do have a WILMO on Nellybell, seems to do good. (I have just an NH with no pre-heat setup now).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 11:40 pm:

Here's an early manufactured Wilmo manifold.
wilmoford
Here's a later model.
wilmo
Here are both units side by side front and back.
wilmodual wilmodual1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend, Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 01:39 am:

Jay-
It seems to me the unit labled "Patent Applied For" would be earlier than the "Patent Pending" unit.

???

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 03:11 pm:

I have an extra heater one that is a wall-hanger,but I would trade it for/toward a Wilmo. I have six of these now,and am trying to figure out a way to display them.1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 04:16 pm:

Jack, same manifold with heat adjustment & exaust
ex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 04:51 pm:

Dean,how long is the exhaust pipe? Mine was missing and I guessed 6 inches.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 06:11 pm:

Jay - Thanks for this one! Interesting discussion (and photos) of various combination intake/exhaust manifolds. As previously stated, I like the fact that apparently, exhaust manifold warping is greatly minimized with these combination manifolds, plus, it resolves the old argument, whether or not to use the stock Ford stamped "heat-pipe".

What it makes me wonder about is how these combination manifolds were installed; WITH (?) or WITHOUT (?) the glands that are partly recessed into the ports and partly into the manifold, or, were they usually installed with just the flat gaskets? In some of the photos, I see the recess in the manifold for the glands, but some are just a flat surface across the ports with no recess for the glands. Seems like the combination intake/exhaust manifolds would have less of a tendency to warp like the stock separate exhaust manifold, so it might be that just the flat gaskets would work okey. Anybody have any enlightening experience with this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 06:22 pm:

Most are machined for the glands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By peter kable on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 05:56 am:

For a few more interesting manifolds go to Bill Smiths Speedway museum site they show a range of maniforls you can click on and enlarge.

Saw a maifold years ago which incorporated a cooking plate that allowed you to BBQ on does anyone have one of these?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 10:56 am:

Here's a link to the manifolds at the speedway museum.
http://www.museumofamericanspeed.com/Collections/SpeedEquip/TExhaustManifolds/TE xhaustManifoldThumbs000.shtml

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Shedrow on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 11:49 am:

pix
pix2
pix3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Shedrow on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 12:00 pm:

I dug this out of my parts bin-name that I can see is thor.cant read the pat #,this accessory of the day is really cool-keep on posting them

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 07:05 pm:

Has anyone out there had any luck repairing missing threads on the ends of the exhaust manifolds. I considered buying an anderson manifold but it was missing most of the threads. It was selling for almost nothing at one of the swap meets and I thought about laying some brass and cutting new theads, but did not do it.

A365j

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 08:50 pm:

Do not braze up and re-cut threads. It will have problems with the brass nut at manifold high temps. I believe arc welded nickel rod will work well, but it takes a really good welder to do it and the manifold has to be heated near cherry red before welding and then cooled slowly after. Manifolds tend to break after welding of any kind. I have seen a new system demonstrated that looks good, but have not tried it. It is an oxyacetylene metal spray system that seems to work great on cast iron, including manifolds, which are more difficult than other cast iron due the the long term uneven heat changes. If anyone has tried this system, I would like to hear what you think of it.
W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend, Gresham, Orygun on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 02:03 am:

I had a combination manifold (I think I still have it somewhere...) that had bad threads. I cut threads into piece of brass pipe. Then I ground down the remaining threads on the manifold, and machined the inside of the pipe so it would slip over the ground off threads. Then braised it into place. Worked well.

: ^ )

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration