Mirror, Mirror on the T, What's the Best for to See?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Mirror, Mirror on the T, What's the Best for to See?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 02:24 pm:

I have some old outside mirror heads, but the arms are a challenge. There is a good place to mount them on the Mezger Automatic windshield, via the 3/8" mounting hole for the strut, but I haven't come up with a good arm, which needs to be at least 8" long.

I've looked at 1/8 and 1/4 brass pipe, but can't find any longer than 6", and they're NPT pre-threaded.

I've looked at the $150 new ones, but don't like that they clamp onto the tube, and I'm kinda' T-ightwad when I have most of the parts already.

Vibration reduction is important, too.

cel

wsw

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By eric flower on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 02:39 pm:

I see you got one of those NEW cell phones I've been hearing about...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 02:43 pm:

The trick for fixing the vibration blur is to glue a convex mirror of the same size over the flat one.

The blur magically goes away. I learned that trick from Humble Howard Genrich.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 02:49 pm:

yeh, Eric, that's one of the Old Bold pilots.

Can't image why the convex stickon would help, Frank, but I'll try that.

Note the two-faced windshield wiper. Needed for the heavy dew we get here when sky is clear at night.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 02:52 pm:

Have you looked at any lamp stores for brass lamp parts? Some of the vaulted ceiling lights have long brass tubing and ceiling fans also have brass extension pipes available. Perhaps even a plumbing supplier would have brass pipe for antique showers and sink installations.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 03:15 pm:

If you have any part that is chromed or nickle plated, you can varnish it and it will looke just like brass. brass plating is expensive and it rubs off. Varnish is the trick !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Grant Landy on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 01:26 am:

For many years i had rear view mirrors fitted to the widscreen of a few brass T's.I always found them to be useless due to the vibration. I removed one mirror from the two piece brass windscreeen on my 1913 Van and fixed it directly to the top of the timber body. All of a sudden the mirror beacame usable!The same result when you fix a mirror to the timber dash rather than the windsreen frame. The timber must vibrate less? or absorb vibrations better making the rear view mirror more usable. Hope this helps.
Warwick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 04:32 am:

RJ, you know better, then to drive , while on the phone, in Cauli Fornia. George n L.A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 11:16 am:

I think a phone in the car is a dandy accessory!

.ph

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Decker on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 11:59 am:

Dick
That gentleman is Bill Gate's grandfather, who was behind the creation of this device for Mr. Tracy?
The popular opinion at the time, was that it would never amount to anything?
dick tracy

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration