ACCESSORY OF THE DAY 12/19/09 BURN-OIL COMBO MANIFOLD

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: ACCESSORY OF THE DAY 12/19/09 BURN-OIL COMBO MANIFOLD
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 10:53 am:

Here's another combo manifold to follow the Anco Accessory of the day posting of yesterday. This is a NOS unit that came in its original wooden crate. It wieghs in at 22 pounds, thats twice the weight of the Anco unit.
burnoilmanifold burnoilmanifold1
burnoilmanifold2
burnoilmanifold3
Check out the next picture it looks like a indent for a right hand drive steering column,or?
burnoilmanifold4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thunder on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 11:44 am:

Interesting. But how does it work?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 11:51 am:

I think the "dent" is for the carb controls. I'll bet the little plug is for a primer cup. After all if you shut this thing off running on kerosene/fuel oil it could be a bear to get started again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls,WI on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 11:56 am:

Thunder, whatever gas isn't burned the first time around goes back into the intake manifold and the exhaust heats it up so it burns on the second try. The gas from the intake is cooler, so it stays on the bottom of the exhaust manifold, and the exhaust, being hotter, flows out through the top half of the exhaust manifold.

Works pretty slick. Saves having to need 2 different manifolds.

That little indent directs the cooler gas mixture into the the intake for cylinders 3 and 4.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 12:58 pm:

I just got one of those this summer looks new also no one had ever seen one before, thanks Jay for the info

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 01:42 pm:

Better be careful ,bet that intake part gets very hot, probably hot enough that you could get burned on it. Could that be a reason you don't see many ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 01:56 pm:

So, it actually mixes intake mixture and exhaust? I would have guessed that the intake and exhaust are seperate with the exhaust gas used to heat the intake portion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thunder on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 02:27 pm:

Thats what I was thinking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 02:40 pm:

Henry, You are right my friend. The exhaust is partitioned off inside the casting. The intake portion is at the back, and the exhaust passes over the front of the intake.
I'm with Warrens observation, this puppy looks like it would run pretty hot, It's got alot of mass to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend, Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 02:44 pm:

The exhaust gasses completely engulf the seperate intake manifold to heat up the entire manifold instead of just a portion of the manifold like the Anco or Wilmo units, or just the incoming air like with the Ford carburetor stove.

I'm sure it was for running the car on Kerosene. They may have had a special carburetor, or just the Ford Caruretor.

: ^ )
Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 05:23 pm:

Mine will be at Chickasha for sale as will my wilmo, unless someone wants them before then

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 09:28 pm:

Well it took me a while but I dug around and found the original crate for the manifold. The branding iron lettering on the crate reads.
FROM, THE BURN-OIL DEVICE CO., MANUFACTURERS OF, BURN-OIL KEROSENE ATTACHMENTS, FOR FORDS, 120 N. JEFFERSON AVE., PEORIA, ILL.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 10:38 pm:

Well, I've always heard that you can run a T on just about any cumbustable liquid. I didn't know that there were actually after market parts to enable it.

I enjoy an occasional gin martini. My wife says that I could run the Ford on one. Is there a special manifold set for it?

Yuk....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A,J, Bell on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 12:50 am:

Patent number: 1249647
Filing date: Mar 27, 1916
Issue date: Dec 11, 1917
http://tinyurl.com/yh8gv8y

Some Ads or Articles . . .

1918 “Forest and Stream“ magazine.

“THE BURN-OIL DEVICE —
GUARANTEED Run your Ford car on kerosene.
Cuts your fuel bill in two. Agents wanted. ...”

1917 “The Commercial Car Journal”

“Burn-Oil Device for Fords An attachment
for running the Ford car on kerosene is
being offered by the Burn Oil Device Co., Inc.,
129 N. Jefferson Ave., “

And a snippet from ?

Burn-Oil

Regards
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 10:34 am:

Well I dug around and found the original crate for the manifold. The burned in lettering on the side reads
FROM, THE BURN-OIL DEVICE CO., MANUFACTURERS OF, BURN-OIL KEROSENE ATTACHMENTS, 120 N. JEFFERSON AVE., PEORIA, ILL.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 03:28 pm:

Jay thanks fore your accessory postings very enjoyable.
carby

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration