FLIVVERS TOUR TO THE CASTLE

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: FLIVVERS TOUR TO THE CASTLE
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr. on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 01:14 pm:

I posted this earlier but my p.c. is incapable of pushing things to the top and it got so far down the forum that no one was reading it. So, with apologies, here goes again.
Last Sunday, Karen and I joined our chapter, The Flywheeler Flivvers, for a tour to Solomon's Castle. Check their website at www.solomonscastle.org.
We trailered our 27 touring to Flywheeler Park, near Fort Meade and joined the tour there. We left Wild Willie's Used Up Car Lot in the flywheeler village about 9:30 a.m. I think the group was five T's, five A's and one Shay.
The weather was a typical late summer day in Florida, hot and humid. Not to be confused with a mid-summer Florida day which is hotter and humider.
We drove a round-a-bout route on rural back roads which were almost totally free of other traffic through open Florida back woods, pasture lands, phosphate mines (really huge draglines) and some orange groves. We made a gas and bathroom stop at Wauchula. At Limestone we were joined by a fellow member driving a 34 Ford 1 1/2 ton truck.
We arrived at Solomon's Castle at about 11 a.m. Lunch was the first order of business, which we had in the outdoor dining area under some large oak trees.
After a fine meal several of us who hadn't been there before went on a tour of the castle. All kinds of weird stuff in there, most of it created by Howard Solomon. Mrs. Solomon told us that most of his friends call him Howeird.
Mr. Solomon then showed us his private collection of old cars shich he wants to sell as a lot. He said the fun for him is in the hunt and he's out of space. Thinking back, I think it was maybe fourteen cars, mostly 20's and a few 30's. I think four T's, a nice coupe, a speedster, an all wood cabless pick-up and a roadster pick-up. About three A's, a nice coupe and a Victoria and not sure what else. A couple of Chevrolets, including a very nice 32 rumble seat coupe. A big old Willis Knight and a Dodge Brothers sedan, several others.
We fired up and headed on back to Plywheeler Park about 3 p.m. with a gas and bathroom stop at Bowling Green. All the cars performed great, no problems at all. Our 27 is still kind of grabby and chattery in the bands since the water in the oil adventure but seems to be getting better. This was my first trip in this car more than just one or two miles at a time and it just ran great the whole day.
Folks, it was the kind of day I've dreamed about since I first got involved with T models. Just perfect! Sorry I can't post pics but it just doesn't seem possible with this antique p.c. Happy T'ing. Bob

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration