1907 2 Speed Ruckstell Axel Help

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: 1907 2 Speed Ruckstell Axel Help
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shahin Fard on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 05:35 pm:

We have an antique car dealership in Southern Utah and we just about sold an axle in our yard for $75. Come to find out the Axle is a Ruckstell, it has an id tag on it and it is legible!!! I need help finding out how much it is worth!! It is in pretty decent condition, it is the 2 speed, and all the wood is on the wheels, and not broken. The id tag says it was manufactured back in 1907. The serial number is 521963. Under where is says Ruxstell Axel on the tag is says "Four Speeds For Fords". Any information on this axle would be great, we dont know to much about it. Thanks :D

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shahin Fard on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 05:45 pm:

Here is the picture of the Id tag on the axle I will try to get a better one when I can but I took this one with my cell phone when it was about 10 degrees out side, so it is a bit shaky

C:\Users\Shahin\Desktop\axel.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shahin Fard on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 05:46 pm:

Here is the picture of the Id tag on the axle I will try to get a better one when I can but I took this one with my cell phone when it was about 10 degrees out side, so it is a bit shaky

Axel Id Tag

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shahin Fard on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 05:48 pm:

Opps I made a mistake, Sorry I am new to this forum lets try that again

Axel Id Tag

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Stinson on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 06:25 pm:

it looks like that is the date of the patient ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shahin Fard on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 06:31 pm:

That might be, I am going to have to take a look at it again and take my camera with me when I go to the shop on Monday, I will get some better pictures of the whole thing then, but here is a few pictures of the axle I found from our old listing. The wheels turn nicely as they should and everything seems to work well on them.

Axle 1

Axle 2

Axle 3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 06:52 pm:

'07 is the patent date. That differential is for a TT or Ton Truck. Based on the Model T, with a heavier frame, driveline and rear suspension, Ford made the TT One Ton truck from '17 through '27. Ruckstell made your aftermarket axle to help the TT go faster. Field-fresh axles like yours typically bring $300-$500 at auction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By karl v schlachter on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 06:53 pm:

I could be totally wrong but isn't that a TT rear end??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shahin Fard on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 06:58 pm:

Sweet thanks guys! Any Good place you know where I could sell it??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By karl v schlachter on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 07:01 pm:

Eric, Glad I wasn't wrong. Makes me feel a little better at identifying parts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 07:17 pm:

Shahin -- This site has a Classified Ads section. Go to the home page and click on that link to list your part for sale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shahin Fard on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 07:22 pm:

Awesome Thanks I will see what I can do you guys have been a great help!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shahin Fard on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 07:35 pm:

I need the classified Password to be able to sell something on there!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 08:33 pm:

you can take it to Chicasha Ok next spring, or Bakersfield Ca to the swap meet if you don't sell on line. If you have many other Model T parts or pre WWII parts, it might be worth your while.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 10:35 pm:

"Ruckstell made your aftermarket axle to help the TT go faster". No that is not correct. The Ruskstell axle made your T or TT go slower, so you could haul a heavy load up hill or through the mud. You trade speed for torque.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 11:53 pm:

Jack,
Yes, it is an underdrive. But, as you know, most people installed high speed gears for flatlands and used the underdrive feature to maintain good pulling and hill climbing when required. A TT with stock gearing was painfully slow even by T era standards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 09:46 am:

Also didn't the OP state he'd already sold it for $75.00??? Now he wants to know the best place to "sell it"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 10:03 am:

Gary,

Good point. Hmmmmmmmmmm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr. on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 10:33 am:

Said he "just about" sold it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 11:00 am:

Are TT Ruckstells with unknown internals really going for $3-500 at auction? I would have said $75 is a fair price. I've seen them for $50-$100 and even turned down a couple for free over the years because I don't have a TT.
Chris Paulsen
McPherson, KS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 11:58 am:

The ones I have seen for sale at swap meets average around $200-300 asking price. Most don't sell. There is just not a big market for them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome R. Hoffman, Hays KS on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 03:25 pm:

If it had a known high speed ring and pinon set the value would go up much more than the fact it's a Ruckstell. I would find it a problem to pay more than $75.00 not knowing if it has the HS gears-brake shoes. I have two for sale, if you want one let me know. Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 03:03 pm:

The driveline is missing on the one in the photo so likely the internals are all shot. It's very likely the only value there is the axle housing and maybe the bronze driven gear. Just my opinion from having bought and disasembled a few of these...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration