Non-T: Follow the Yellow Brick Road

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Non-T: Follow the Yellow Brick Road
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 10:33 pm:

The movie "Wizard of Oz" came out in 1939, and was re-released in 1949. That was when my parents took me to see it, and I was fascinated. My dad mentioned after the show that the "Wizard of Oz" was also a book, and that there were other books in the series. That was enough to get me hooked. I immediately got a library card and that summer read every Oz book by L. Frank Baum.

This evening, I was channel-surfing and hit the very beginning of the movie on TNT. I figured I'd watch a little and then move on to something else, but ended up watching the entire film. I enjoyed it all over again. "There's no place like home."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 11:44 pm:

As kids growing up we watched it every year, but in B&W. Even though it is in color it's just not the same as B&W.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 12:59 am:

I think I first saw it in the early fifties, at the long-gone Harbor drive-in. One thing I noticed was that the first part, in Kansas, was in B&W. When Dorothy looked out the window and saw Oz, it was in color. When she got home to Kansas, it switched back to B&W. Years later, in 1976, it was fun to meet Jack Haley and have him sign my copy of The Big Broadcast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 12:19 pm:

Steve, are you a Pedro guy ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 01:07 pm:

Nope. We did shop there, though. I lived at 1363 Gulf Avenue in Wilmington (Wilmas as the folks from Michoacan call it now) until spring of 1950 when I was almost nine, then we moved out to "the country" in Lomita. Used to go to matinees at the Lomita Theater which had once been managed by Frances Ethel Gumm's father before she became Judy Garland (another Oz connection).

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration