Nickel VS Chrome

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Nickel VS Chrome
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel (Indiana Trucks) on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 11:29 pm:

I know this has been brought up before but I cleaned up an old moto meter the other day that someone put new rings on to hold the glass in place. The rings were chrome but the rest was nickel and you could see the difference real easy. I used a little mothers polish on it and the new chrome looked the same but the 80 year old nickel came out looking better than the chrome!

Now I am going to have some parts plated for my truck and my wife wants to do her radiator shell on her 26 touring and we were leaning towards chrome thinking it would be better but now I am thinking different. This stuff will never sit outside as long as we own it and it will always be polished and clean so which way would you think would look and hold up best? I have seen chrome peel off so that makes me think nickel even more.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 11:38 pm:

Nickel is the correct. Chrome came i the late twenties. Chrome is right for a Model A but not model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 01:13 am:

I don't believe there are many chrome parts on a Model A either, especially before 1930 model year. The 28 - 29 Model A continued to use mostly nickel plating.

Ford used lots of stainless on the Model A. A few things were chromed like bumpers and door handles, but the majority of shiny stuff on 30 -31A's is stainless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 05:57 am:

Agree, Royce. My point was, though unclearly formulated, that chromeplating was either not invented/discovered before in the late 20's or considered so expensive that it was not used on a common car as the Model T, not even on the 26-27.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 09:44 am:

If you want ro remove the chrome and take the piece down to the nickel, just dip the piece in muratic acid for about 15 seconds. The chrome is removed and the nickel will be shining bright. You can get muratic acid at any swimming pool store.

I found out about this procedure when I had some speedometer bezels replated and the plater chromed the bezels. He told me about the muratic acid, and while I was very concerned about doing this, it worked perfectly...no damage to the nickel at all. Hope this helps, Russ Furstnow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 11:08 am:

If you want to be correct, use nickel. If you want something with almost no maintenance, use chrome. Both look good when polished.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 12:12 pm:

With the plater I use, all pieces are nickeled before the chrome plating is applied, so nickel is under the chrome. As to maintenance, nickel will oxidize and dull over time, but it looks great when it is polished. Also, nickel has more of a "brown" tint where chrome is more "blue", and it is easily distinguishable. Hope this helps, Russ Furstnow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 12:43 pm:

The nickel has a very "soft" appearance that looks right (and is right) on a later Model T. Shiny-bright chrome smacks of modern cars and hot rods. The decision is really a no-brainer in my book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel (Indiana Trucks) on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 09:30 pm:

I know nickel would be right on a T and also on my 25 Indiana but I was thinking about which might hold up better to all the polishing. The truck will get nickel for the few parts it has like the headlight rings and spark and throttle levers because it is an ultra rare one of a kind but the T could go either way since it will be a real nice driver and my wife won't be polishing on it like I will the truck but oxidation over time could be a problem. I guess nickel could be re-done later if it needs it and I have seen it clean up after 80+ years. I have seen the look Mike talks about with the chrome on a T shell and he is right. Looks like its going to be nickel unless someone can talk me out of it!

Thanks for the help everyone.
Bob

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration