Bad low gear

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Bad low gear
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Saitta on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 09:57 am:

I've had my 1923 Model T for 18 months. Bought a 1927 with a cracked low gear drum. The professional will put it on a lift and drop just the tranny. The knowledgeable club member wants to pull the engine and tranny. Do I need an engine stand? The engine runs fine. He plans to take just the tranny home to work on it. I have a used low gear drum that LOOKS ok. Thoughts please. Bill Saitta

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 10:02 am:

The professional is clueless. You cannot take the transmission out of a T seperate from the engine. Both must come out to work on the transmission. Go with the knowledgeable club member and help him so you can do it yourself next time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr. on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 10:42 am:

Yes, Bill, an engine stand with the proper attachment for holding the T engine and trnsmission from the side will be a great help. With it you can hold the engine in a vertical, nose down position for removing and replacing the transmission. Oh yes, avoid that "professional" guy. Just my $.02. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 11:22 am:

I did it, but the lift was a come-along tied to a rafter. The Speedster had no magnets or coil ring, nor top, so it was no big deal to remove the flywheel bolts and lift the tranny out and then put it back in after repair. You probably won't be able to do that.

To avoid broken drums, I use wood band liners instead of kevlar. In fact, you may want to inspect first for kevlar shreds throughout, if that was the probable cause of drum cracking.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 01:47 pm:

I saw some guys remove and replace a transmission without pulling the engine... That was in the parking lot at the MTFCI national tour in 2003. I know it can be done, but who would want to??? It is way-way-way more work than pulling the engine, removing the pan, etc. The plus about pulling the engine and doing this "properly" is that you get a good look at potential problems in the engine that are easy to deal with at the same time, and your entire engine gets "re-sealed" when you put everything back together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff rey L. Vietzke on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 02:19 pm:

I agree. The professional is indeed clueless. Go elswhere!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 04:50 pm:

Not only is it easier to remove as a unit, but when you put it all together you can align the crankcase so you will not have sideways or downward pressure on the 4th main (bearing at rear of transmission). This is important for long lasting crankshaft and center main bearing.
See earlier posts on 4th main.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration