New paint that looks old

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: New paint that looks old
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Protexter on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 12:44 pm:

I'm looking for a way to repaint a fender but it has to look aged to match the rest of the car. I don't want to do a total repaint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff rey L. Vietzke on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 01:30 pm:

What do your other fenders look like? Dull? chipped? Alligatored/crazed finish? Fairly easy to "patinize" a surface if you experiment. Scotch brite pads, steel wool, gun-browning solution, primer showing through the paint, etc. Just about any look can be achieved. When I go down to the nostalga drags at Bakersfield every year, I am always impressed by the "aging" done by the young tattooed and peirced crowd to their "postwar" style hotrods. These are Ford T's and A's that have been built "circa 1950" and actually LOOK like they were built and painted 60 years ago. Faded paint, lettering going away, etc. You'd never know the car was built and painted last month. Check out some Rat Rod websites or flatheat websites for some clues. Pretty interesting stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Floyd Voie on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 04:19 pm:

Dan,
PPG makes a flattening agent to add to your paint. Ask for a product sheet from your supplier.
You'll have to play with it a bit but you should be able to get a not so shiney look from it.
Good Luck!
Floyd

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randall Anderson on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 06:27 pm:

Ask Dan Killecut ("Barn Fresh 1913" thread) how he did his '14 touring. It fooled a well-known expert into thinking it was all original.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration