Inner Bearings on model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Inner Bearings on model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Van Veghel on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 12:47 pm:

Found alot of info on bearings in past forums but not this somple question...A simple question for all the experts. When I took the front inner bearings out of my 1926 model T to inspect them the roller bearing came apart. This happened on both sides of the car. I've never seen this with a bearing on a newer vehicle unless they were bad? Is this common on model T's or are these bearings worn out? An old timer said to put them back together with grease and they would be fine.I find that hard to believe. Thanks for a reply; have no problem buying new ones. Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By james dimit on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 01:09 pm:

If it's a timken roller bearing type, no it shouldn't come apart. While you may get away with sticking it together with grease, i would recommend replacement. The inner bearings aren't that expensive and a failure could damage the spindle and hub. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Van Veghel on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 01:17 pm:

Thanks Jim That is the answer I was looking for. Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 01:20 pm:

If any of the wheel bearings come apart as you said it would not be a good idea to try and put them back in. Find someone or one of the venders and get some goooood new or used ones, for sure you dont want a wheel comming apart.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob smith on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 04:45 pm:

I put bearings back together all the time, the retainer doesn't do much more than just keep things in one piece, if things look good slap them together with grease and go on, some of you guys must work on only the common stuff, with many other makes of old cars and such new bearings aren't always available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 08:11 pm:

I agree with Bob, if every thing looks good go back with them, it's pretty common for these brgs. to come apart. Have fun, KB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By james dimit on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 09:23 pm:

Bob and Keith, if the retainer is supposed to keep things in one piece and it isn't, isn't that a problem? One of the purposes of the spacer cage on a timken bearing is to keep the rollers evenly spaced, when the cage fails and the rollers begin moving all to the same side, it gets ugly fast. Perhaps if they were hard to come by or extremely expensive it would be worth getting by, but the bearings in question are niether. Besides the possible damage to other parts there is a safety benefit to you, your passengers and other motorists in not loosing a wheel while driving down the road. For the $35 the venders get for the bearing and race I wouldn't take the chance. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Crenshaw on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 12:27 am:

The question asks about the INNER rear bearings.
These(inner and outer)were HYATT mfg. and as Bob Smith stated the cage just keeps the rollers in place. I have been able to pein over the support rods and have everything go back in good order. Give it a whirl. The new replacement bearings don't hold a candle to the originals. Much softer and not made in the same manner.(strips of hardened steel rolled in a spiral over a softer core)
P.S. The Hyatt name was sold to our new global "partners" in China.
Lee Crenshaw
Richmond, Va.
The front wheel bearngs were made by Timken and are of the tapered roller design. These bearings are still being made by Timken.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thunder on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 12:35 am:

Read the question again Lee...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Crenshaw on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 12:54 am:

By Golly, Thunder, you're right, I stand red- faced and corrected.
Thanks,
Lee

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 01:27 am:

I, too, have put them back together a few times. Mostly because years ago I got some bad repros that didn't hold up. However, I understand the repros now are good.
The most important thing, if you chose to use them, make SURE the rollers, races and cages are all in good condition. NO flaking or even early signs of it on races. NO thin spots on the cages. Rollers all smooth and even. I have seen many T wheel bearings come apart that way. The cages originally only barely kept it from falling apart. Only a little wear on the edges of the cage will let it come apart and not hurt anything. As long as you get it all back together right and well greased, it may still outlast the repros.

Drive safe, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 03:14 pm:

The inner bearing and race should be available through any auto supply or bearing house. Use the numbers off the existing parts. The outer bearings are threaded and most likely have to be procured through T vendors.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration