Really need an engine stand??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Really need an engine stand??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Saitta on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 03:34 pm:

I posted earlier today about pulling a good T motor with a bad low gear drum. An engine stand would be nice, but they are about $200.00 new and I do not think anyone in our club has one to borrow. A club member will take the tranny home to work on. How much extra work would it be without buying a stand? Does anyone have a used one to sell? Bill Saitta

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 03:37 pm:

I picked one up at a garage sale for $5. Keep your eyes open ,or check Craig's list?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 03:50 pm:

Bill ; yes I know that you need an engine stand
special when you have some work to do at your
transmission and flywheel and coils, then your engine had to be on its nose , I made one by my self

greetings Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 04:26 pm:

$200 for an engine stand, it must be made of brass. I bought mine new for $45 at the local fleet store. We did have to make the adapter plate so we could hang a T motor on it. If you have a Harbor Freight or Northern Tool near you should be no problem. Some places rent tools check with them, if it is a one time use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 04:44 pm:

I have done several without the stand. I use 2x4's and the studs for the manifold as well as the tw0 bolts for the water inlet. and make a frame so that I can turn upside down or on end. When you turn on end with the nose down, you need to put it in such a way that the crankshaft hangs. Do not put support under the front of the crankshaft.

I have also used a stand like the one in the picture. It's much easier. If no one in the club has one, you might get together with several who do a lot of engine-transmission work and pool your expenditures to make one for the club. It is much easier, and you can transfer from a engine hoist to the stand and do all your turning by hand yourself without any helpers. I recommend it.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 05:02 pm:

A 3 wheeled stand can be tippy, so keep the engine or upper part of the stand anchored to a cable or come-along tied to a rafter.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 05:07 pm:

$59!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=32916

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thunder on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 05:18 pm:

I had one here for about three years. One of my customers was throwing it away. I got tired of moving the darn thing all the time, so it wound up in the scrap metal pile. It wasnt long after that, my first Model T showed up. I wound up making one out of scrap metal, the engine adapter too. Its funny how ya' dont need something, until ya' throw it away...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Marino on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 07:32 pm:

I just bought the 750lb engine stand at Harbor Freight, and mounted my engine on it with two long grade 8 bolts thru the water inlet holes. Works good. I just used the plate and hangers that came with the stand. It was $49.95 and if you go to the Harbor Freight web site you can print a 20% off coupon. Harbor Freight even had a cheaper smaller ~500lb stand on sale for ~$34.95. I think they are made in China or Taiwan?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr. on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 09:19 pm:

My three wheeled engine stand used to be pretty tippy. I welded a 1/4" x 2" x2" angle across the front which is as long as the wheel track at the rear. Welded a couple of 3/4" NC nuts at the ends of it and run jack bolts through these to the floor. Keeps it from being so tippy and also keeps you from having to chase it everywhere when wrenching on an engine. I have a rule that keeps the engine stand from being in the way while not in use, when I loan it to somebody he's not allowed to return it until I ask for it. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 08:56 am:

200 bucks for a engine stand!! YEha,I need to start building and selling them for 49,99!
Oops,somebody allready is.
A stand makes it alot easyer to work on and once you get the engine out you will find that any back problmes you may have ever had will come back as you wrestle it around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Voss on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 10:48 am:

Harbor Freight is junk from China!
Be an American and buy American!
I built mine out of scrap wood I had around the house for free.

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 10:59 am:

When I was 16, I purchased a 1926 Model T coupe for my life savings of $600.00. I made $1.65/hr. bagging groceries, so I had very little money with which to buy tools, parts and supplies, so I made a nice engine stand of 2 x 4's, which I still have. I now have enough to buy a top of the line engine stand, but why do that when the one I made 40 years ago still does the job nicely and best of all, it was free. Jim Patrick

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration