Installing new wood doors on '22 Coupe- any tricks of the trade?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Installing new wood doors on '22 Coupe- any tricks of the trade?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 08:00 am:

Background information:
When I purchased my '22 Coupe six years ago it was beyond saving any wood parts due to dry rot and just plain rot. It was in a barn buried under all kinds of junk next to five Lincoln Continentals that were also buried. Who knows how long it sat in this barn but I think it was touched up in the 60's just because of the materials and methods used. It sat for 4 years untouched in my garage then about two years ago I tore it down to the frame and I have been doing a complete frame off rebuild...every nut, bolt, screw has been taken out and cleaned. If it can be salvaged it is, if not it is replaced as close to the original as possible. The engine, transmission, and rear end all have been totally rebuilt and are back in. I have everything back on the frame including all new wood.

I took the old doors and used them as a pattern but they were very rotted and out of square so I need to know a couple of things before I do a final fitting of my new doors into the frame.

Now the questions:

After several hours spent on squaring the window frames and door bottoms on my new wood I dismantled the old door and discovered that the glass is not square and is angle cut at the top and sides.

Are the window frames not square in a Coupe? If I build it square the glass won't fit.

I am ready to fit the new wood doors into the frame and was wondering if there are any tricks to get them properly aligned?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Kuehn on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 11:20 am:

Seth
When I had new door window glass cut for my 24 Coupe I took the old glass down to the local glass shop and had them cut new ones. I am glad I did! I had started to throw them away and just measure the openings. I realized that the door glass top is cut at an slight angle and not square. I noticed this when I reinstalled the glass in the doors. This would seem to suggest that the frames were not square. If you still have the original glass you may can that as a guide to get the correct angle for the door frame. The door frames are not perfectly square at the top corners on my 24 Coupe. Hope this can be of some help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 11:40 am:

Since you are not sure whether your window is correct or not, you may want to invest $7.00 in a T-11 "Ford Windshield and Closed Body Glass" book that gives exact measurements for Model T windows for all years. Jim Patrick

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration