What are these Parts I found in Car

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: What are these Parts I found in Car
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nugent on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 04:14 pm:

I found a bunch of parts in the car as I am cleaning for the first time. Any help appreciated.
T5
T6
T7

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 04:25 pm:

Transmission band adjusting wrench, a cool radiator cap, gull wings for radiator cap, a modified carb heat stove, non-T lamp (left) and a '16-'27 T oil side lamp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nugent on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 04:29 pm:

Wow. That was fast. I appreciate teh feedback. I plan to label this stuff.

MArk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 04:30 pm:

Picture 1 from left to right, top to bottom:After market radiator cap drilled for a motometer, a standard Ford type radiator cap, after market wings for a mtotmeter radiator cap, band adjusting clamp and wrench.

picture 2: hot air pipr for carburater.

Picture 3 left to right:unknown or after market lamp (non-Ford), Ford 1916-27 side lamp for a non-electric starter/generator model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 04:33 pm:

Picture 1: Top row: Octagonal brass radiator cap (accessory) with hole for motor-meter; original nickel plated radiator cap; gull wings to go between radiator cap and motor-meter (probably originally came with your octagonal radiator cap).
Second Row: Band changing tool.

Picture 2: Partial Carburetor intake pre-heating manifold (looks like it has been trimmed off)

Picture 3: Kerosene Cowl lights, without mounting brackets

Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 06:38 pm:

PS. Since you were unfamiliar with the band changing tool, perhaps you are unfamiliar with its' use. The square U shaped piece is for holding the band lugs together, which releases the tension on the nut. You push down on the pedal which pulls the lugs together, slide the legs of the U on each lug and release the pedal. With the tension released, the nut is then unscrewed by the wrench. The wrench is attached with a chain to prevent you from dropping it down into the bottom of the transmission, which is considered a minor disaster, because anything that is dropped in, MUST be retrieved and it usually entails removing the hogshead (transmission cover).

Anytime you open up the transmission access panel to do any kind of work, it is always a good idea to stuff each side with rags so, if anything falls in, it will go no further than the rags and can easily be retrieved. Like a surgeon taking inventory of the number of sponges and instruments he uses during an operation, you should count the number of rags you put in and make sure you count that many when you remove them. Jim Patrick

PS. Before opening the transmission access panel, make sure you remove the key from the ignition and put it aside, as it will inevitably be bumped and fall in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lewis R. Rash on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 07:11 pm:

They are just junk - send to me. Address to follow!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 07:16 pm:

the odd sidelamp is a Adlake side light, I have a pr of brass ones w/out 1 red jewel, turn it over and see if it has a crew in pc w/ a red lens in it, I finaly found a Adlake taillight after 40 years but its not brass? still want to use them on something I'm building in the future

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 07:19 pm:

I'm confused.

Why is that considered a modified or "clipped off" carb stove?

It looks like the early style to me.

Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil McKay on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 07:45 pm:

I agree with Eric. The carb stove is not modified or clipped. It looks to be correct for 1913 or thereabouts.

Neil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nugent on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 07:49 pm:

Would it be correct for a 1918?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 07:54 pm:

My opinion is that the carb stove pictured is correct for 1918.

My unrestored May '17 roadster and my dad's July '17 touring have that same style carb stove.

(I also have four more of those stoves sitting in my parts inventory.)

Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nugent on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 08:01 pm:

Does anyone have a photo of how it looks on the car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 08:36 pm:

Oops! The power of an idea; I've gotten so used to the later style that I forgot all about that design and confused it with the modified one that came with my Wilmo manifold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 08:38 pm:

Good job Erik! I learn something new everyday from you fellers. At least we ID'd it correctly, but, apparently, we were off on the description (modified, clipped off, trimmed). I thought all air intake pre-heaters were the same as the ones on my '26's and figured someone, for whatever reason, must have cut off half the top along with the sheet metal hole by which it is secured to the exhaust manifold. Without the hole, how was it secured in place? Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 08:59 pm:

Jim -- That top lip of the stove is held in place by the rear manifold clamp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 12:35 am:

Mark:

Look at the picture of the 1917 "Rip Van Winkle" Ford posted by Hap Tucker in your other thread.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/117835.html?1261451491

The stove is inserted into the back (intake) of the carb. The top part of the stove is held onto the exhaust manifold by the manifold clamp (the corner of the sheet metal stove is sandwiched between the clamp and the manifold).

Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff rey L. Vietzke on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 12:57 am:

That looks just like the carb stove on my '15.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 01:09 pm:

Does anyone know the cutoff date of the flanged hot air pipe to the one pictured? My guess would be around '14.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration