Just Post Some New Pics

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Just Post Some New Pics
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nugent on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 04:27 pm:

I have been going through the car from front to back. It is so difficult to tell what might be original and what is replaced. I appreciate all the imput and am posting some new pics because the feedback is wonderful. I plan to start it up, with some local help before Christmas. Finger scrossed. 1918 T.
The link to new pohotos :

http://www.3dwoodcraft.com/t2.html
http://www.3dwoodcraft.com/t.html

\image(find)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 04:45 pm:

Car looks pretty good. You need 55 psi in the tires. Engine looks original or early model because no starter. The Ruckstell is a good thing to have. It is not original T equipment, but a good one will cost about 1,500. It is good for hill climbing, and if you have a higher gear ratio you can also go faster on level ground with it. You will only be able to tell what repairs need to be made by running it and driving it. Someone in your area familiar with Model T's can listen to it run and drive it and tell you how it is. Remember they only have 20 horsepower, and many new owners wonder if something is wrong because they are a bit slow from the starting line or up hills. That is normal. If you go on tour with other Model T's you will soon see whether you can keep up with the group. Don't compare with speedsters or modified cars. You should be able to keep up with the stock Model T's if you are running on all 4. Another very important thing is also to have brakes good enough to stop you at the speeds a Model T usually goes. I don't see any auxillary brakes on that car, and if it were mine, that is the first thing I would add. If anything in the drive train fails, you will only have the parking brake to stop you. A Ruckstell, as good as it is, can sometimes cause a neutral behind the brakes and if that happens you will be in freewheeling. It will coast much easier than it will with the car in neutral. In fact I feel so strongly about this, that I wouldn't drive any of mine without auxillary brakes. Even if you don't go on any hills, you might have a problem stopping on level ground if someone runs in front of you or if a car ahead stops.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 04:51 pm:

I looked at the pictures again, and what I thought looked like a Ruckstell shifter is actually the parking brake cross shaft. You have a stock rear axle, so disregard what I said about auxillary brakes unless you do a lot of hill climbing and descending. They are a good backup system, but not as essential with the stock axle.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 11:11 pm:

Mark,

When you have a chance, take a look at the right front floorboard riser. Is that possibly part of a body number in the circled area?

You have a neat car with a lot of original features. Below is a picture of the Jul 1917 Model T Ford touring often referred to as the Rip Van Winkle Ford. It is from the May-Jun 1971 "Vintage Ford" and used by permission. It shows the hot air pipe installed.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker l9l5 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and l907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration