Plastic vs Wood in rebuiding a coil box

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Plastic vs Wood in rebuiding a coil box
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schiebe on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 11:28 am:

Replacing the plywood back/bottom in a metal coil box for 1914. I notice that they make a plastic replacements along with the plywood or hardwood versions. Any feedback on fit/finish/installation of the plastic versions. It appears the added cost would be offset over the long term by minimizing moisture issues?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 12:22 pm:

I have two sets of plastic coils. One set dates back to the mid 60's when first installed in a car. The second set is three years going. Have not had trouble with either set. Both cars get driven mainly for parades in the Kansas summer heat and humidity and sit in the cold garage during the winter months.
They fit snug in the coil box and make good contact. As far as I know, the only draw back is they can not be rebuild inside.
I may also add, I run one set on 6 volt and the other set on 12 volt. I like them and if one goes bad, they are'nt that exspenive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 12:25 pm:

Guess I should learn to read someday. You want to know about the coil box. I have two cars both the plywood. good luck with both. Again I live in Kansas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Mullin on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 12:32 pm:

Gary,

I installed the FunProjects plastic coil box inserts a couple of years ago. The original (?) plywood pieces were separating, and moisture was a problem. The 1916 doesn't keep the box dry very well.

The directions that come with the kit are very complete and easy to follow. I believe you can download them from the FunProjects website. Only mistake I made was leaving off the small washers that were supposed to go on the pop rivets. So far, that has not caused any trouble.

This is "before" shot of my coil box. Notice the little contact pieces are not symmetrical. The right hand ones are offset to the left and the left side ones are offset to the right. That way, they line up with the contacts on the 1914 and later coils.

While you have your coil box disassembled, you should clean all of the brass contacts and the porcelain tubes. You will need to solder the three wires (magneto, battery and common wire) to the magneto and battery contact wires and the common wire to the bottom strip. Many recommend soldering the contact pieces to the brass bolts, too.

Give it a try, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 12:41 pm:

You won't find a higher quality product than most anything offered by Fun Projects. The plastic coil box kit fits very well! Instructions are very well written.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 01:05 pm:

I have Johns plastic inserts in both of my '25s. You never need to worry about arcing with them. What you do need to do is pay attention to the directions for installing them. The only change I made is I used the original steel screws rather than the brass ones supplied.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 01:28 pm:

I am installing one of the FunProjects coilbox wood replacement kits now. The metal parts of the coilbox are at the powder coater. Here are photos of the two pieces ready to install.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 01:31 pm:

Once agian.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa in Poulsbo, WA on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 03:39 pm:

Wood + Rain = Tingle on your Finger

Plastic + Rain = Nota ... Zilch ... Zip.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 06:52 pm:

This is another of the things that were made to make the Model T better. The wood is original, and for the purist, or the one who wants the car judged, wood would be the way to go. I have wood in all of my T's, but I live in Southern California and we go about 340 days a year without rain and have low humidity so I haven't had a problem yet, in fact I still use the wood that was in the coil boxes when I got them. I don't know if it is original or not.

However, I wouldn't knock the new plastic products, and if I ever have to replace mine, would most likely use one. For those who have summer rains, which many areas have, the plastic would be the way to go. It would be especially the way to go with the wood firewall through which it is very easy to get wet and to soak all the way into the coil box. With a wood firewall the plastic wouldn't show, but should give you very dependable service.

This is another of the things that one must chose from. Whether to be stock, or improved. This one I would say from the way it appears to me, and from testimonials, is an improvement.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 07:50 pm:

I have used Fun Projects coil box kits in several cars, and they are top-notch. I have also used some other parts offered by FP and have been consistently impressed with their quality. I've used their coil box kits, dash shields, the magneto-powered battery charger, one of John's wood dashes for my '15 Coupelet, and his voltage regulators that look like cutouts (on customers' cars, my cars are pre-starter models). Everything he produces is great.

There are a few Model T folks who produce only top-quality parts: Fun Projects, R. V. Anderson, and Larry Smith are a few, and there are others. These folks make a limited number of parts very well, and they are made from Ford's original drawings and specs. Most of their parts are available through the major vendors or from them directly.

Most of the parts the major vendors have for sale are all they can get, sometimes of questionable quality. It's not necessarily their fault they can't get top quality parts; in many cases they just are not being produced. I'm sure they would appreciate being able to offer us only excellent parts, but in some instances it's not possible so they offer us what is available so we can keep our 90-to-100-year-old cars on the road. Anyone who would like to join the list of "top-quality parts suppliers" is welcome to step up to the plate and go for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 09:37 pm:

I like the Olds Tom.
Has anyone ever tried to put the parts from a Fordson box into a t box?Will it fit?Just curious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 11:26 pm:

My vote is the Fun Projects kit...I couldn't be happier and all it takes is an hour or so with average skills..including cleaning up all your old nuts, bolts, and porcelin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 02:36 am:

My dad was always fighting poor performance . Always thought it was the carb. I kept advising him to replace the wood in the coilbox. Changed timers, changed coils to no avail. Car always was reliable , but would miss, during damp or high humid weather. The three Hillbillie Tours seemed to always have three out of five days of rain. This last summer, I was able to rebuild the box with the FunProjects, replacement, plastic kit. Unbelievable !!! Best thing I've ever done. No more misses, full power , just absolutely great. This is not a show car, but a driver and I like to drive. New wood or plastic will be your best choice. I like plastic.

George n L.A.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration