Speedometer drive gear

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Speedometer drive gear
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim B Boyer on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 06:28 pm:

Hay Guise,
I posted a thread a while back on connecting a speedometer drive on a set of wire wheels like on the 1926/27 fords. I got some good information and especially the reference in Russ Furstnow's book on speedometers, which is a great reference on the type and different drives for all speedometer units.
I notice there does not seam to be any picture information on what the drive gear looks like on the wire wheel hub. Does any one out there have a picture you could post of the wheel hub and the speedometer drive gear on it? I sure would appreciate it. Thanks
jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 07:18 pm:

Jim

Here is a pic of the front wheel drive on the speedo that was on a '26 coupe. This one is on the left front wheel, most times the drive is on the right front.

pic here

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim B Boyer on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 09:30 pm:

Dan,
Thanks for the reply, what I was looking for was a picture on a wire wheel and hub.
jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 10:56 pm:

Jim,Bruce's book has a few pictures as does the books on speedometers. I put a ring gear on my 26 wire wheel hub of my speedster. Are you using the spiral drive system on the double gear?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim B Boyer on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 03:21 pm:

Jack,
I can go eather way, I am not sure what fits inside the wheel so I thought if I could see a picture I could use a system that would work. The books you mention have a lot of good information but no picture of a wire wheel set up. Thanks
jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 03:31 pm:

I'd recommend you give Russ Furstnow a call,discuss it with him. He's a lot more knowledgable than I.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan Warrington on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 04:31 pm:

Here is the wire wheel drive.

/image{a}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan Warrington on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 04:40 pm:

Here is a wire wheel.
wheel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob wood on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 04:58 pm:

Jim,
this is the AC drive that is used for this gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim B Boyer on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 06:56 pm:

Bob,
That is what I was looking for, it appears I would need to drill holes in the hub and tap threads to attach the drive gear. Thanks for sharing the picture. The rest I can figure out.
jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 12:37 pm:

Aren't all these photos of an AC?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 02:32 pm:

Jim:

Which Head do you have? The pictures above are all AC if you have a stewart you will need an 8 pitch 58 tooth drive gear.

Also for the Stewart Special Speedometers you will need a different gear.

The gear below is for a 30 x 3 wheel

A78

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 06:20 am:

I took this picture of a speedo-drive on a Morris Cowley. Could be a Stewart...
speedo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim B Boyer on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 12:16 pm:

Dave,
To answer your question, the speedometer head is a stewart 160 and was set up on a 30 inch wheel which wes wrong for a 27 ford.I have a stewart drive gear like the in the pictures above I will be using after reading Russ Furstnow's book on speedometer's. I guess I need a one to one swivel instead of the 2 1/2 to 1 for the 30 inch wheels.I didn't realize there were so manny options for speedometers. Thanks to all who assisted me in this project.
jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 12:26 pm:

Jim, I've tried posting a photo of the spiral gear used with wire wheel hubs (pn: 35010) but have been unsuccessful, so I'll try to explain what you need to have for your setup. If you don't have the spiral drive, you need a 58T8P (pn: 30333) road gear attached to the right wheel. Use 3/4" spacers to keep the gear away from the wheel. Then mount a 2 1/2:1 RH (pn: 1913) swivel in front of the axle. Use a 63-66" long cable (depends upon the body style) which then fits your Stewart Model 160 head. A 1:1 swivel will not work with your Stewart head.

As Larry already stated, the road gear with the "holes" is for an AC speedometer and is mounted to the LEFT wheel. If you need further help, email me or give me a call. Hope this helps, Russ Furstnow

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration