Question on tours

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Question on tours
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICK NELSON on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 09:37 pm:

Can anyone help answer some questions about going on tours? My family and I are planning to go on the
MTFCI tour in South Dakota this summer. it is a lot of firsts for me the first tour , first tour for my Town car, and first family vacation in 20 years. My wife has a bad back and I donít thing she will handle driving all day in the T, so does it matter if she was to follow the group in our regular vehicle or meet up at the destinations,. I was just wondering if anyone has done that in the past?
Thanks , Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 10:15 pm:

We have not been on one of the MTFCI tours for about 10 years but the people putting the So. Dakota tour on are nice folks. Our kids had a blast, as did we, on the Rockford tour these people put on as well as on other MTFCI tours in Kentucky and Battle Creek. I don't think they would mind if your wife followed along. We've done modern cars when the weather was bad. The area in So. Dakota is beautiful, especially at Model T speeds!
Verne

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Harris on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 10:43 pm:

We haven't ever been on an MTFCI tour, but we have been on MTFCA National tours and lots of club hosted ones. . . plus have been tour leaders more times than I can count. . . It is perfectly acceptable to be in a modern car, it is no where near as fun! If she thinks she might be able to ride part of the day, see if it's possible to arrange to ride with the vulture wagon (trouble truck) or hitch a ride with another modern car during the day. We have several folks that can no longer ride in T's, so they travel at the back of the pack and give rides to those that wear out during the day.

The main thing is to go have a great time, enjoying life in the slow lane.

Happy Trails,

-Kathy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 10:45 pm:

Rick

Sure'nuf...you can have your family ride along in modern iron. All the tours accept that, and lots of stops for rests are always planned. We'll be there out west next year for sure!

Here is last years tour in TN, note the 'modern' iron (grey Plymouth) in the background, of course, you should have a newer ride, that Plymouth was one of the cars that the vulture wagon had to haul back to the host hotel!

pic here

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Protexter on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 11:17 pm:

Rick, most tours are like a leasure drive in the country. If your wife wants to follow in your regular car their is nothing wrong with that. If you only want to drive part of the day that's fine also. You have to remember that you will be with a bunch of like minded people, you'll enjoy it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 02:51 am:

Just a small reminder that John Steele and I are doing a one day/two day tour on Wednesday and Thursday during the week between the MTFCI tour in South Dakota and the MTFCA tour at Whitefish, Montana. Free camping at my country place. I have acres and acres to park on. Motorhome, camper, tent, whatever. No electricity and no water except from the creek. Spokane Creek goes right down the middle of the place. First day of the tour will go around the back side of Canyon Ferry Lake, up Deep Creek Canyon and over King's Hill Pass to Monarch. You can either come back and camp or go on to one of the resorts or motels in the area. Second day we'll leave from my place and go up the Missouri River Canyon toward Great Falls and meet the people who stayed over in the Monarch or Great Falls area. Very informal tour. Almost all two lane roads. No fee, no organization. No requirements. Not much of a schedule. (We might hang a coffee can on the door of the porta potty for donations to pay for that.) We'll have a gas grill or two and a firepit with wood and marshmallows for Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights. That time of the year it will be light until 10:30 or later. Should be fun. You're all invited.
Here is where we'll be camping.

cadi in the gate

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICK NELSON on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 06:00 pm:

Stan thatís a nice, big Cadillac but do you think everyone camping will fit inside it??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By peter kable on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 09:46 pm:

Rick, I would think the back seat of a Town Car would be as comfortable or more so than most modern vehicles. I know my Town car is.

Not so in the front especially for the driver but after 44 years one does not seem to mind the driving position.

Put the kids in the front or let them sit on the jump seats, mine always prefered to sit there and talk through the window behind the front seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent in 10-uh-C on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 06:53 am:

Hey Rick, I will add in a couple of things to what has already been said. My family are the ones that hosted the Johnson City tour this past summer, and when we kept asking for direction to the B.o.D. and Club "powers" about what to do, the same answer was always give to us, ..."It's your tour, do it however you want to!" For us, it was more about the people than the cars. Thus, even though we heard flack from tour attendees in that regard, we chose to allow anyone who wanted to attend to do so driving whatever vehicle they wanted to. With that being said, I think your first step is to contact Sheryl Stier and ask permission first since it is their tour. Just because something has been done in the past does not mean it will be grandfathered in on their tour. (Just saying!)

Now the next thing is just an observation by me. There may be a reason why you have not had a family vacation together in the past 20 years <hahahaha> but my personal take is that if you two can get along <grin> I too believe I would spend some effort to see if you can make life in the back seat of the TC just as comfortable as the modern car for her. This is not about the modern car per se', but it is the common bond you and your family will be missing as you'all tour together. There is SO much to see as a family while getting to each of those "destinations" that you will talk about AFTER the vacation is over, ...and if you & she are in seperate vehicles, in all liklihood you all will miss many of those special moments that make T touring special.

One other point. I was amazed how many different "agendas" there were on our Tour. Even though we had a detailed book routing out the trip and had allocated the time accordingly, to some it was a daily "race" to see how quickly they could get back to the hotel. Others were the first out of the parking lot each morning, and returned later than the Trouble Truck who followed the Tour! Some folks carried a GPS with them, and when decided they were tired for the day, they used the GPS to guide them back the quickest way. My point to you is to see if you can work out a compromise where she can ride along with you, --even if the day's tour is abbreviated somewhat, just so you can all be together. You never know, there may be others on tour may be of the same mindset and wish they had someone to tour with as y'all trek out on your own.

BTW, your wife excluded (!) what are the ages of your passengers?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration