How to keep tires white

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: How to keep tires white
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICK NELSON on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 07:13 pm:

I have new white tires on my car but they are starting to turn yellowish I have tried every thing I can think of any help????????
Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 09:26 pm:

Rick,
We use Whitely's (I think that is the name, too cold and icey to go look :-) ). It is a spay on liquid, and our NAPA stores all have it. Comes in a white spray bottle.

Good luck, and Merry Christmas,

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 10:00 pm:

Westley's Bleche-Wite

http://www.westleys.com/

I've never used it on all white tires, only white wall tires (after I spray it on the tire I use a brass wire brush to scrub white wall).

Avoid getting it on painted surfaces.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 11:55 pm:

I found besides Westleys, that GOJO with pumice really cleans the white rubber trim on my boat. Saves me a ton of elbow grease and looks like new.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 12:12 am:

Last weekend, Norm Aune told me that he's used laquer thinner for years. He even showed me on a spot on an old. yellowed Universal White Smoothie. It really whitened it up. But, it seemed like an invite for weather cracks to me. But, he's been doing it for forty years without incident.

I'm putting all whites on my '14 this winter and I have no intention of worrying about them getting dirty. I'll just treat them like any other tire. My tire policy has always been to put as many miles on them as I can every year until I need to replace them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 03:40 am:

Do any of these cleaners work on the whitewalls that are available now? They all seem to "bleed through" turning the white brown. Just curious. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 07:42 am:

Westleys works great on the all white tires, l use it every 6 - 12 months to put that great white look back in the tire.
A WARNING ON WESTLEYS - USE RUBBER GLOVES OR YOU SKIN WILL PEEL, and try to keep it off the paint work on the rim and spokes.
A good plastic type bristle brush to get the dirt out works well.
Hope this helps
******For anyone outside of the US, it can only be shipped by sea, so if you know a shipping container guy who has space, you're set.******

David.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Sumner on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 08:24 am:

I have a set of univeral's on my centerdoor. The tires started turning yellow the first time out in the sun. I have tried everything I can find to clean them with marginal results. The yellow keeps comming back worse each time. Les Sumner

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 10:01 am:

Rick,How white is white enough?? Every year at the Old Car Festivle we see a few show cars being rolled/driven to the place of show with white booties! Most people have a idea as to what they look like now as compaired to the old pictures,so where is the line for you? I hit mine once a year and that is where i see my line! bUD.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred E HoustonD on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 12:08 pm:

Just leave them alone! Let them age gracefully, along with yourself. By time they wear out, they look pretty nice. I love my new Firestones. Not only do they now have the identical clinchers from the original Ward's Riversides, but they are wearing much longer. I even had trouble wearing the tred nipples off!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 12:20 pm:

Westley's gets my vote. DON'T breathe the mist as they say on the bottle and rinse it well - it is very alkaline and will cause corrosion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 12:49 pm:

I have a Bright White 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo. For several years I had a black vinyl cotton lined hood boot on the vinyl front nose of the car to to protect it from bugs and other damage. When I took the boot off after the end of a hot, rainy summer to wash the car, there were brown stains from the boot all across the white vinyl nose where the boot had been. I tried everything to remove the stains, to no avail. Finally, with nothing to lose, I took a roll of paper towels and a tray of Clorox Bleach out to the car. I tore off one paper towel at a time, dipped it in the tray of Clorox and laid it across the front vinyl nose over the brown stains. I could easilyt see the stains through the wet paper towels. I would keep spraying the towels damp with bleach and gradually, the stains got fainter and fainter under the paper towels until, after a few days the stains were no longer visible through the damp paper towels. I removed the paper towels and could not be more pleased with the results. The vinyl nose piece was as bright white as when I first bought the car. No amount of scrubbing worked, but keeping the bleach on the stains to allow it to work gradually is what did the trick. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Rigdon on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 01:20 pm:

For years, when I have purchased a collector car with yellowed white walls I have brought them back to life with pure bleach such as clorex applied with xxxx steel wool. After letting the bleach set for 3 or 4 minutes I then scrub them well with Westleys and do a lot of rinseing. Sounds harsh but I have never had any tire damage. A few years ago I purchased a '46 Lincoln Coupe that had been abandoned in an orchard for several years. I cleaned the wide whites using the aforementioned process and they still looked great 3 years later when I sold the car.
Bill R. '25 Fordor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 01:30 pm:

sdff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICK NELSON on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 06:06 pm:

I tried westleys and it didnít work very well for me , I have used it on white letter tires and it worked great.
I was afraid lacquer thinner would eat the rubber but I might try the go-jo.
I think this is why some people started saying the old tires were grey, my next set might be.
If this doesnít work I am going to let them age I just wanted to try keep them looking new.
Thanks for all your advice. Rick

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration