ACCESSORY OF THE DAY RUSH DUAL CONTACT TIMER ROLLER

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: ACCESSORY OF THE DAY RUSH DUAL CONTACT TIMER ROLLER
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 11:26 am:

Here's an accessory timer roller for the standard Ford timer. The roller itself is spring loaded to keep it pressed against the edge of the contact segment ring inside the timer.
rushroller1 rushroller2
rushroller3 rushroller

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 11:33 am:

Wow to much good cheer last night, forgot the date 12/24/09
Merry Christmas from Sunny California!
santa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 01:05 pm:

Jay

Is that a miniature ball bearing inside the roller?

Merry Christmas,

Ted

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A,J, Bell on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 02:24 pm:

Hi All
Here are three patents covering the replacements for
the Ford timers/rollers assigned to W.S. Rush & Co.

Patent number: 1305559
Filing date: Oct 21, 1918
Issue date: Jun 3, 1919
http://tinyurl.com/ye5mwdj

Patent number: 1538869
Filing date: Feb 7, 1921
Issue date: May 19, 1925
http://tinyurl.com/ye7mktd

Patent number: 1516617
Filing date: Feb 7, 1921
Issue date: Nov 25, 1924
http://tinyurl.com/yaydtjy

Regards
Art
Wishing everyone the Best of the Season
No peeking under the tree !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 02:32 pm:

Merry Christmas to you and yours Jay! Thanks for showing us all those neat Acc! Thats one nice looking T with the gas lites! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 07:10 pm:

Ted
The Rush timer roller runs directly on the shaft like a Ford roller timer (presumably it has a hardened sleeve in the roller bore like the Ford timer?) and is spring loaded to make the (second) contact with the side of the timer case contact.
None of the Patents cited by Art are for the exact timer pictured above by Jay. If you look close they are all slightly different. No doubt there is another Patent for the one Jay posted?
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 12:26 am:

There was a time when some of the top drivers in the Montana 500 were using the Rush Timer Rollers. Later they ALL went to the Anderson timer with a race spring. One of the drivers went to the Crystal Timer but had a lot of trouble with it. Another Driver used the New Day and did very well.

A365j

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 01:30 am:

Well - I havn't spelled my way through those patents, but I am not sure why this should be so excellent. Why Dual Contact?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Harper on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 03:50 am:

Michael,
My understanding is this: If you use this Dual Contact roller in a standard type of timer shell that has a worn and "bumpy" contact surface, the "Wipe Contact" or side contact (see the above advertisement picture) will maintain electrical contact eliminating misfiring. If the timer has extra width insulator rings covering the side of the contact segments then the Rush roller offers no benefit.
I hope that this helps. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 12:42 pm:

William Harper:

I ran a rush roller with an original Tiger for awhile. I did not get any of the bumpy wear that you mention. The wear pattern was the same all the way around, it sure looked strange compared with the pumpy wear caused by the regular tiger timer. The wear pattern was a circle all the way around. Also different was the wear pattern was worn on only the outer part of the timer shell. The wear was about 3/4 of the surface of the contacts. I had no problems with the timer, but changed to the Anderson.

A109 1 CD on Forest Canyon Overlook

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration