1927 Ford Roadster ???? or Chevy?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: 1927 Ford Roadster ???? or Chevy?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Mathews on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 11:59 am:

I need some help from the Ford experts. I've got a rat rod I traded for a couple of weeks ago. The title says 1932 Chevrolet Roadster. The more I look at it the more it looks like a '23 to '27 Ford Roadster. Can anyone help? Photo attached. The next question is, if it is a Ford, how to I re-title it?
Thanks,
Dave Mathews in Houston
\image

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 12:18 pm:

#1. You're going to have to figure out how to post a picture of it. If it's on a "Photo Bucket" or "Image shack" acct. you can use the link to that picture.
#2. If it is an early metal Ford Body, I'm sure the guys here can identify it.
#3. Changing the vehicle manufacturer on a title in any state is going to be quite a task and may lead you into a can of worms you won't want to try to dig yourself out of.
With any luck, one of the guys with a lot more experience in these matters will chime in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 12:19 pm:

Does it have a Chevy engine?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 12:24 pm:

If it still has a stock front axle, the Ford used one transverse leaf spring and the Chevy used two semi-elliptic springs (I believe), one at each end of the axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 12:57 pm:

See: www.mtfca.com/gallery/index.htm. This is the link to the photo gallery of the mtfca homepage. You can see all different styles of Model T's by style or year. Compare them with your car and perhaps can arrive to your own conclusion. Good luck and Merry Christmas. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 01:00 pm:

PS. These are the Model T's of various members of the mtfca. Click onto each picture for a closer look. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Mathews on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 02:54 pm:

It has a Chevy small block and automatic. If I can figure out how to post a picture I'll do it. Thanks,
Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Mathews on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 02:55 pm:

It has what may be the original front axle. It is a single traverse leaf with home made dropped spindles rather than a dropped axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Mathews on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 03:18 pm:

test \image

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Mathews on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 03:22 pm:

\image {image file name}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nugent on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 03:24 pm:

Take out the space from behind the e on image and do not use spaces in the image name. Try this!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Mathews on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 03:31 pm:

imagefilename

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Mathews on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 03:37 pm:

Thank you Mark! There the beast is. Any ideas on exactly what it is?
Thanks,
Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison-Montana 500 President on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 03:39 pm:

Looks like a Ford to me, with a SBC

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Mathews on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 03:42 pm:

That's what I think too. But I'm no expert. I've looked at a lot of photos of '32 Chevy's and this thing just doesn't match up. It looks like a '27 Ford to me....but again I don't have enough experience to be sure. If I get it nailed down I'll go to work on getting the title right. Would rather have a Ford anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 04:04 pm:

The front wishbone looks like a 32 Ford The windshield looks like a Model A The body looks like a 26-27 Model T and the steering wheel and steering gear looks "new fangled" The chassis looks a bit stout for a Model T. Could be a 32 Ford. Anyway, I guess you could pick a part and name it for that part. If it were mine, I don't think I would try to get the registration changed.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Mathews on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 06:26 pm:

Thanks for the input. I probably won't worry about the registration, but it's good to know what the body is. It obviously has parts from a number of different companies and years but I don't think there are any '32 Chevy Roadster parts on it. I'll call it a '27 Ford and leave it at that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 04:35 am:

That might be a Chevy body?
http://oldcarandtruckpictures.com/Chevrolet/1926ChevroletRoadsterBut.jpg
It would certainly be more rare if it is.
You're probably going to have to some local T owners to pick through this thing to be sure.
The frame isn't. It looks like Model A or 32.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 06:11 am:

Dennis, I think you are close. The door doesn't look like a T and the cowl looks to me like it has more curve to it than a T. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Mathews on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 01:25 pm:

This view shows what caused me to question whether it was a Chevy. You can see the two raised features (app. 1"X1/4") that runs up the side of the trunk lid. The Chevy photos I've looked at didn't have this and the Fords did. But this is just based upon looking at photos on the internet.
picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Mathews on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 01:47 pm:

Here's a view from the side and off the door. I'm pretty sure the windscreen frame is home made.
picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 03:51 pm:

Dave

Your rod has a '26-'27 Ford Model T runabout body on the chassis.

The body has been blended with body work, probably bondo, to smooth the junction of the roadster tub and the detachable rear turtle deck or trunk. Original bodies, that rear turtle deck is easy to remove and bolt on a pickup bed if the owner wanted back then.

The builder also used outside hinges at the base of the deck lid, allows it to open backward. Original body would have the hinges at the front edge of the body allowing the deck lid to raise up for access from behind the car.

The '26-'27 roadster body is a popular for rods, as it has all metal construction, metal sub frame, and metal supports, all metal doors. The same year Chevrolet runabout's are built of a wood frame with the metal tacked on to make the body, very few exist as the wood rots, and the body falls apart, most were scrapped years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 03:54 pm:

Dave

A few pics of the Ford Model T Runabout.

pic here

pic here

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Mathews on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 08:11 pm:

Dan,
I really appreciate the response and the information. Now that I know what it is I can decide what to do with it.
Thanks again,
Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 09:01 pm:

Yank that SBC out and put in a flathead V8
flathead

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 09:36 pm:

flathead

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 09:51 pm:

Leave any engine you want in it. The body has been so modified that it would be very hard to restore it to original. If you want an original, there are good ones for sale in the latest Vintage Ford. It would cost less to buy one than to try to restore this one. Just drive it and enjoy. Be careful not to go too fast!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 12:27 am:

It's a really nice "Rat Rod"! Call it a Ford if you want, save yourself a whole lot of grief and leave it titled as a Chevy. Only the experts will be able to tell the difference, as modified as that body is.
When I bought my 27 Tudor, it was titled as a 28. A 28 is a Model A. Naturally, I wanted to correct the title as I took ownership of it.
What a Cluster Fu*# that turned out to be. Rather than just accepting the FACT that it was a 1927 Model T and not a 1928 Model A and that somebody in the Florida DMV had made a mistake, the Florida DMV made ME prove the obvious.
I did my homework and found out that it had been a 27 when it was registered in Georgia and somehow became a 28 when it had first been registered in Florida many years ago.
That still wasn't good enough for them. The only way it finally got straightened out was when they figured out that the car had once been owned by the father of the supervisor of the Sarasota county DMV! Then, all of a sudden, THEY made an appointment with ME to come down and fix things.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Mathews on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 01:08 am:

I don't think I'll go to the trouble of trying to get the title changed, and the car is way too far down the "rat rod" path to spend much time and money trying to get it somewhat original. It does run and drive pretty well so I'll just scoot around in it now and then.
I do appreciate all the help and information provided by the folks in this forum. Regardless of what I do with it it's nice to know what the body really is.
Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration