Gazette

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Gazette
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Hamlin on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 02:49 pm:

Does anyone get the HCCA Gazette?
In the last issue there is a great article written by Gil Fitzhugh.
It is a copy of a scrapbook with photos & a daily journal of a trip Edsel Ford & 5 of his friends took from Detroit to San Francisco in three cars in 1915. The cars consisted of a new 15 T Touring with accessory wire wheels, a Cadillac & a Stutz.
All Tourings. Great photos.
Could not get permission to post any of it though.
Worth finding a Gazette to read it.

Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George House on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 04:03 pm:

I thoroughly enjoyed that fantastic story. The best part of it was that it was related to Gil by a grandson of one of Edsel's friends that was actually on the trip. He also loaned him the pictures. As I remember the article, the fellow approached Gil while the latter was out in his Model T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Hamlin on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 04:14 pm:

That is correct George.
Since I can't post it here, anyone that can should get a hold of the Gazette & check it out.
Read 'Ford Tramps' while you're at it.
Same type of story.
Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harry A. Daw on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 04:22 pm:

Mark, when did you get yours? I have not received the new issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Hamlin on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 04:45 pm:

Harry,
The article was in the last issue that's been out a while.
I don't have it here at home with me but it's the one with Con Fletcher's Pierce Limo on the cover.
Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 06:25 pm:

Mark,

For those of us who accidently let our subscription/membership run out -- would you please look and let us know what the date of the trip was. (I have renewed but no Gazettes have arrived yet.

There are several books with photos of the 1915 style touring that they drove. But none of the ones I have give a date.

Only one more sleep until Christmas....

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker l9l5 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and l907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 07:37 pm:

Hap

The date of this trip is June 17, 1915, beginning at Dearborn Mich to July 25, 1915 , ending at King City, CA.

If you don't get the HCCA mag, you are really missing a lot of great early car reads. I recommend it..... The article is 11 pages, with 55 pictures....wow what a find!

There are lots of pictures showing Edsel and the modified 1915 touring, he started out with wire wheels, but changed to wood as the thin wires didn't do the job. A cowl vent was added to cool the feet in summer time out West!

I scanned one of the pictures, to save for my file use, but the copyright is with the HCCA, so I won't post it. The Gazette issue is Vol 71, No. 6 , Nov-Dec, 2009.

Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 09:09 pm:

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good read!
I, too, recommend reading that article, and many other good 'T' articles in the HCCA Gazette.But if you're not careful, you may find yourself hooked on horseless carriages as well as model 'T's.

W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Hamlin on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 11:04 pm:

Wayne,
You are so right!
Merry Christmas
Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 11:44 pm:

Dan,

Thank you so much for the date of the trip.

I have many years of the HCCA Gazette, but for some reason the check didn't get mailed to them for 2009. And with all the other things going on this past year I didn't notice until recently. Great magazine for the early cars.

Again thank you for clarifying the date of the trip.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker l9l5 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and l907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 01:10 am:

They screwed up the renewal notices last year, so lots and lots of people didn't renew, me included.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 12:48 pm:

The part of that article I like, is Edsel started off the trip with wire wheels, and ended up with wood wheels. I guess the wires just wouldn't take the beating the hickory spoked standard wheels would!
Merry Christmas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 12:57 pm:

Ricks,

Thanks! I have enough times when I know it is my fault. Its a nice feeling to think it might not have been my mistake. If any of you work with the HCCA and know for sure it was my mistake -- don't tell me -- I feel better thinking it might not have been me....

Santa was good to me ... more books on Model Ts. (I found it helps to give the Santas the name of several books and the link where they can order them). And even nicer is having the kids home for Christmas.

We have so much to be thankful for. God Bless you each and every one.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker l9l5 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and l907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration