Year of Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Year of Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Stewart on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 10:12 pm:

We have just purchased a partially restored model t - we were told by the seller that it is a 1924 2 door Tudor. It has a very small rectangular rear window. The serial number on the engine is T1754. According to the website at www.modelt.ca, this makes the car a 1909. My question is did Ford make a 2 door Tudor in Canada in 1909? We can't find any pictures that match up to the body style from 1909 - ours looks more like from the '20s, but with a very small rear window.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 11:31 pm:

We are all just waiting for you to post a picture or two.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 11:57 pm:

Jon, it's not likely that an engine with that low a number would wind up in a 1924 Tudor. It should somewhere between 9 million and almost 10 million. The serial number should be stamped in the left side of the engine right above the water outlet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 12:13 am:

John,

The serial number on the engine does not appear to be an original number for a production car. Ford Motor Company USA provided all the engines up until May 1913. About 12,000 USA produced engines had a "B" serial number but the rest had just a number. Ford England used the USA numbers. After May 1913 Ford Canada assembled their own engines initially using many parts from the USA but later using parts made in Canada. They stamped their blocks with a "C" and a number.

If you can post a few photos that would probably clear things up a lot. Or contact some of the local Model T Folks near you. I'm sure a knowledgable T person could look at your car and quickly tell you the approximate date etc.

If you are having troubles posting pictures take a look at the directions posted by George at http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/114896.html?1258764268 that you can cut and paste the proper command from his document into you posting. There are also some screen captures in the thread http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/113685.html?1258684732 scroll down until you get to one that starts with:

By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker on Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 10:29 pm:

If you are still having troubles posting you can click on my name at the beginning of my posting. It brings up my profile and the third line down is my e-mail. If you send me the photo(s) I will gladly try to post it for you on this thread. And also please put “Model T” or something similar in the subject line so it isn’t deleted in the Spam filter by mistake.

You could also take a look at the cars on the member's photo page. Ford introduced a Centerdoor sedan in 1915 that had two doors -- but they were in the middle of the body. Ford introduced their Tudor in 1923 as a 1924 year model car.

A picture of the both sides of the engine block would help along with pictures of the car. I would GUESS that you probably have a 1924-1927 Model T Tudor with an engine block that has be restamped at some time to read T1754. But that is just a guess based on what you wrote above.

If it looks similar to the picture below:

It is probably a 1924 - 1925. That one is a 1924 Tudor and belongs to Tom & Lori and is shown on the Sedan page at: http://mtfca.com/gallery/models/sedan.htm

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker l9l5 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and l907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 12:55 am:

Ford also sold replacement engines and engines for industrial, marine and other uses without serial numbers. Many of these would get stamped by the user for their records. The block, even if not the pan and transmission, would still work in a model 'T' at a later year. Occasionally one of those odd serial numbers shows up. Even military tanks were built in WWI using two blocks, side by side, on a special pan. Look for the casting date, if it has one, for the year of the engine. Otherwise the engine can only be dated by the various casting changes over the years and does not date the car at any rate because it is probably not the original engine to the car. The car needs to be dated by the many minor style and detail changes which should narrow it down to several months. The replacement engine should not hurt the cars' value any (as long as it is a 'T' engine) and could make an interesting side note. Maybe you can nickname your car "the tank".
W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Benedict, Calgary on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 01:50 am:

John, eregardless of what it is, welcome to the crazy world of Model T's. You will find all the T knowledge you want right here, and if not here thru local members or clubs. Enjoy!! I have had a T for about five years, and have enjoyed every moment of tours, club get togethers and true fellowship. Let's see some pictures, it sound great.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration