Cedar spokes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Cedar spokes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 10:12 pm:

I can't imagine this being true.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Model-T-Cedar-Wheels-Rare-23-diameter-Older-Ts-Fr ont_W0QQitemZ170422567233QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?h ash=item27adfa0141

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 10:23 pm:

True or not, it should make for a lively holiday "discussion".

Should be far better than balsa, huh? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 10:24 pm:

Moths won't eat them.
Whats hard to believe? I've been running balsa wood spokes for years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 03:10 am:

I doubt they are cedar.looks like old regular spokes to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Augustinovich on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 09:31 am:

If the spokes were made of Redwood that would make it a true California find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 11:41 am:

Cedar or Redwood are too soft for driving. Maybe look on a museum piece.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 01:35 am:

Most people not in the vintage car business (and som in as well) just do not know that hickory is the most obvious choice for spokes. Oak being a second choice.
Given their gray appearance it would be just easy to assume it to be cedar.
(All wood turns grey under the right dry circumstances)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady Puryear on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 10:05 am:

Don't know about these particular wheels, but my Grand Father made any number of replacement spokes out of "heart" cedar. The Texas Hill Country is covered in what some call "Mountain Cedar", and some of the older trees were pretty good size. Anyway, when we broke a regular one, he would get a good straight post and using an axe and a draw knife, rough one out of the center portion, the heart. Beautiful piece of wood, nice and red and smelled good. He would whittle and tinker and viola! would be in business pretty quick. I never knew him to do a complete wheel, maybe so, but a single spoke was not at all uncommon, and the other folks in the area did the same. "You dance with the one that brung you," tough times for tough people. Back to Christmas music.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry A.woods on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 10:14 am:

Thought those balsa wood spokes were used on speedsters to reduce weight! Grin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 11:27 am:

Until you get into some of the modern composites, no material is stronger for its weight than wood, and no wood is stronger for its weight than balsa.

This is on www.CalimersWheelShop.com and was taken from a book written in the brass era:
“The wood of choice for auto wheels in America is hickory. Hickory is the primary wood used for wheels because it is strong and flexible. Some other woods are stronger or harder, but the
combination of strength, toughness, yet flexibility has not been found in any other hardwood. Wheels require such a wood to last. Oak is not used in auto wheels because it can shatter across the grain.”

oak

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 08:34 pm:

I hear Cedar spokes are great if you are running wool cord tires

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration