Model T Accessory Oil Feed Gauge ?‏

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Model T Accessory Oil Feed Gauge ?‏
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don A Wiegland on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 12:10 am:

Hello all!

Got this gauge years back from an old timer who told me it was an accessory oil gauge for a Model T, & that it was supposed to mount on the dash.

I'm not sure if this is correct, or how it actually works, because as we all know, there's no oil pump on a T !

My guess is that is is used in connection with maybe an outside oil line ??
But I'm really not sure??

Maybe it showed when was flowing down the line, or if the line was blocked or the engine didn't have enough oil in it??

I'd like to hear the ideas of others here!

Have never seen another, nor have any other T Fordists I've shown it to!

There is a little badge on it that says "KING OIL FEED" & "Pat App. for".

It's nickled brass & 2 & 1/2 Inch diameter at it's widest.
Glass is about 1 & 3/8 Inch diameter.

Under the glass is just an open cavity with the 2 fittings for two 5/16 oil lines.

I'd really like to know what it really does - it's purpose & use; & how it's hooked up & used.

Also what era of the T would it have been sold / used in?

Don.
\image

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don A Wiegland on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 12:18 am:

Here's the pictures!
file

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don A Wiegland on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 12:19 am:

file

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don A Wiegland on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 12:21 am:

file

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don A Wiegland on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 12:22 am:

file

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don A Wiegland on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 12:23 am:

file

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don A Wiegland on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 12:24 am:

file

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 12:52 am:

That's one of several 'dash site feed' outside line oiler systems for the T.

pci here

The oil is thrown up from the tube to the trans cover, into the glass housing, so you can see the oil then drain down the tube going to the crankcase, usually at the oil filler cap.

The sling of oil being forced by the flywheel and magnets is an impressive amount! ... just leave a single bolt loose on the hogshead or Bendix cover or trans cover and you will see for yourself :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A,J, Bell on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 02:04 am:

I would guess that you have the dash gauge portion
of a “King” hydrostatic engine oil level gauge.
King and or King-Seeley filed many patents for tank
and oil level devices in the appropriate time period,
but none show a “dash gauge” style readout like yours.
(A couple for gas gauges did)
Most of the patent drawings show a glass “U” tube
style indicator. It could be that they just did not bother
to draw the housing.
(Or it could be that I'm not even close <@^@>)

The three patents that specifically
mention engine oil are listed below.

Patent number: 1766129
Filing date: Nov 13, 1922
Issue date: Jun 24, 1930
http://tinyurl.com/yjlhuuk

Patent number: 1876245
Filing date: Jan 3, 1927
Issue date: Sep 6, 1932
http://tinyurl.com/ygtbnec

Patent number: 1924495
Filing date: May 28, 1928
Issue date: Aug 29, 1933
http://tinyurl.com/yl2hxu3

Regards
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don A Wiegland on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 07:45 pm:

Thanks Art & Dan!
Don.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration