Install new Top on a 1917

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Install new Top on a 1917
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Willison on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 11:47 am:

Can anyone tell me what the correct hardware is for holding the front top Irons together? On the irons I have,there are the remains of small leather staps the must of held pins? spring pins? or some sort of lock used to keep the front irons in place. The leather strap must have been so one does not loose these pieces.

Also the Top kit that I have refers to leather straps and a hardware system for the rear bow. Does anyone know just what this is? I understand the leather strap part, it is the Harware I need info on.

Thanks Seasons Geatings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 12:31 pm:

See Lang's catalog,Page 117,items #3314LSB and 3314LSN The rear bow leathers are on same page ,just above these.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls,WI on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 04:19 pm:

You can call Mac's and speak to the cartouche section. They can fax you the instructions for installing a roof. That should help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 12:27 am:

I think a '17 is the last year that used the early style oval top sockets. So, your setup would be the same as a '15-16. I believe what you are refering to are top sockets, and not top irons. The top irons are bolted to the seat frame and tack strips. I wouldn't even consider a top from from anyone other than Elizabeth at Classtique. Merry Christmas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Willison on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 11:00 am:

Thanks for the info. Larry you are right I'm refering to the top sockets. I'm a bit new to the Model T restoration. I purchased this car last August. It is an older Canadian touring referbished car, Top needed replacement. Elizabeth at Clasique you say, well not knowing I purchased a top from Cartouche, so I'll have to go with that for now.

I don't have a Langs catalog, Jack, however I checked out there net site. Now I see what I'm looking for.

Still not sure how the rear curtain starp attaches to the bow. Looks to me like there is a footman loop. Would this attach to the bow, if so what is dose the D ring hook to?

Thanks for the tip on talking to Cartouche, Dave I'll give them a call after the holidays.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 12:05 pm:

Strap has footman loop on the bow,and the "D" ring goes over the top saddle iron.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Willison on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 02:23 pm:

Thanks Jack, the picture has all come together now.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration