Installing Clymer Spotlight

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Installing Clymer Spotlight
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Deering on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 12:42 pm:

I am thinking of installing a Clymer "through the windshield" spotlight. Has anyone done this , what is involved and is it worth it?
Any instructions available, especilly dimensions?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Bill D

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 01:13 pm:

Originally, these were installed using a special carborundum grinder with, I believe, water injection to cool/lubricate the work. The hole in the windshield was ground out. Floyd Clymer mentioned the process briefly in one of his books. My guess is that any glass shop that can install windshields may have some means of making a hole for the spotlight. Might cost you a bit and I suspect you may have to bring the windshield to them rather than the whole car but who knows?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 01:19 pm:

Take the windshield, the light and your wallet to the glass shop. They know what they are doing. You should end up with the hole in the windshield and not in your wallet!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 01:23 pm:

Make sure the w/s is Safety Glass. If not, replace it at the same time.

xm

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 02:47 pm:

Whatzit:

I would like to post a couple of pictures of the device apparantly used to install the Clymer through the windshield spot light.
It reads FYRAC - CLYME
Cartrige holder for cutting holes in widshields

To be used only for installing Fyrac Clymer Night quide safety light.

This tool is leased and not sold. It remains the property of FYRAC MANUFACTURING CO. Rockford Ill. Made in the USA.

The first picture is a shot of the entire fixture
A369a Fyrac Fixture

This picture is the large pot on the fixture
top or bottom of Fixture

Distance to the top of windshield inches
A369c distance to top of winsheild

Tube in top of lid
A369d tube in lid}

Six holes inside lid
A369e Six holes inside Lid

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 02:54 pm:

DAVE:
Your image did not show up on my screen. In the display it says "Your Image Here" and that is in a small box

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 02:55 pm:

Dave:
By magic it showed up Sorry for note above,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 03:06 pm:

Dave, thats neat, thanks for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 03:19 pm:

Deering:

Why don't you share a picture of your spot light, I am sure a lot of people don't know what we are talking about.

If any one is interested they can pull up some info on Floyd Clymer. at http://www.susankdailey.com/Clymer.php

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 03:23 pm:

Bill:

I have been told that a lot of glass companies will not bore a hole in safty glass? I have always meant to install a Clymer in one of my closed Ts but have not done so far. There is a fancy restaurant in Berthoud named Clymers after Floys family. I am going to donate a spot light to them and they have promised to display it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 03:32 pm:

Here's a Fyrac through the windshield spot light. It measures 8 inches long.
fyraclite

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 11:13 pm:

Have had the glass shop bore holes in wing winds made of safety glass (safety laminated stuff) not the tempered glass. No problems with 4 1/4" holes, can't seem why a glass shop can't bore a bigger hole for a spot light...

Here are pics of the Clymer

pic here

pic here

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 02:25 am:

I think I read on this forum quite a while back that someone used a sandblaster to cut holes in glass. If I recall correctly, they used a rubber washer with the correct I.D. taped to the glass and blasted out the hole. I haven't tried it myself, but it might be worth a try. I would first try it on a junk piece of glass. Just a thought. Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration